• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

HO scale rustic styrene fence posts

Started by Bill Gill, September 01, 2020, 02:49:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Gill

Despite using real twigs for logs for my pulpwood loading site,
http://www.finescalerr.com/smf/index.php?topic=3067.0

I'm not a big fan of using natural materials for models.
These fence posts were made from styrene sprue.
You can click on the photo to enlarge it, I tried to post it largere but couldn't.

Chuck Doan

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

finescalerr

In HO scale you almost had to use styrene. The texture of actual twigs probably would be too coarse. That's why, back in 1980, I switched from wood to Strathmore to represent painted wood. Ain't nothin' wrong with your eyes or judgment, young William. -- Russ

Bill Gill

Thanks, Chuck. I tried to add a few knots to some posts with a combination of poking a small divot in the post and then putting a dab of CA gel on top of it so  it would stand a smidge proud of the post. Nowhere near as nice as your knots on the sled and mine don't even show in the photo.

Thanks, Ray.

Russ, Thank you, a few weathered twigs that had lost their bark had great color and were smooth enough to use in HO scale, but at that size they were far too brittle to survive any accidental bumps.

Anyone have suggestions for modeling barbed wire in HO?

TRAINS1941

Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

Bill Gill

Thanks, Jerry. Got to "dig" HO scale post holes next.

Lawton Maner

For barbed wire go to a site that caters to military modelers.

1-32

Hi Bill.
I would never pick them for being styrene.
cheers

Bill Gill

Thanks Lawton I'll check that out.
Thanks, Kim. You do a great job finishing and weathering different materials, so that comment means a lot.

After looking at the posts for a couple weeks they seemed to lack the many protruding knots that cover the old cedar posts around
here, so I redid them. A couple stubs of branches are the shanks from Tichy HO nut, bolt and washers. Most were made gouging the post with a needle and then touching a drop of thick CA on top. The knots all look too smooth and uniform in this close up photo, but testing them on the layout at the distance they will be seen they are suitably "knotty". (click on photo to enlarge)

Ray Dunakin

Wow! Those look great! I really like the texture.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

finescalerr

I agree with Ray. They look pretty good from close up, too. -- Russ

Bill Gill

Thanks Ray & Russ, you both are really good modeling textures too, so glad the posts look OK.
They look a bit more gray than they appear in the photo.

Les Tindall

Bill Gill