• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Sandy Hollow

Started by 1-32, November 30, 2020, 05:48:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lawton Maner

I enjoy that both your modeling and the 1:1 work on your own home follow the same pattern.  Given the demand on materials around the planet, there needs to be more escape from landfill construction.

My wife has calls me a pack-rat, but last summer when I built her a gazebo the only expenses were for the fasteners, roof, and wood stain.  All the rest came from a deck my neighbor tore down about 6 years ago and I lovingly pulled nails, power washed, and stacked for a "some time, maybe project".   The piece came with a rustic feel that cannot come from new wood.

TRAINS1941

That is some very fine lattice work!  Overall a beautiful project.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

Barney

just crazy but its beautiful with character
Barney   
Never Let someone who has done nothing tell you how to do anything
Stuart McPherson

1-32

Hi everybody thank you for your interest.
Russ get cutting , do you have a project in mind?
Hi Ray, Barney, Jerry, and Lawton good to hear from you all.
Yes Lawton the benefits of recycling timber or lumber are huge. The cost of these commodities is going through the roof and if you know how to work this material you can find old exotic wood that is looked on by most people as rubbish.
Yes, this is a great project and is part of the original board with the swamp and the signal story house the finished size will be decided later. I have included a photo of how the different parts of the building can be removed and used as separate buildings in this case the kitchen can also be used as a shack.
With the series of photos that I have just posted, there was one of the interior of a rough building with a sand floor this is a recent photo and has been closed to visitors for 2 years , all the original fittings have been removed.The location is the Cape York peninsular the pointed bit of north Australia near Asia ,a truly vast unpopulated wilderness that is part of the national estate of the indigenous population of Australia. If you wanted to escape with a good friend an option.
Cheers.

Bernhard

Nice progress, Kim. I especially like the chimney. I have never seen it like that before.

Bernhard

1-32

Hi all .
Moving along against my best efforts it all fits together and ad the finishes are being applied now for the detail.
Bernhard, you commented on the chimney I have included a picture of a reference shot.
All the best Kim.
https://images41.fotki.com/v1670/photos/3/1816483/16292897/DSC_3025-vi.jpg.

Ray Dunakin

Beautiful! I love the variety of "textures"(wood, metal, lattice, etc) in this single structure. Every side is different!
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Lawton Maner

Lattice is difficult to do on a model, yours has the feel of a DIY project and not something picked up on a Saturday at the local big box lumber yard.

BTW, when the Friends of the East Broad Top RR replaced the car shop doors 5 years ago some of the 90+ year old material found its way to my shop and I made 2 picture frames from it and matted photos from when the RR was in operation to be auctioned at the annual reunion.

1-32

Hj Ray yes everyside is different cheers
Hi Lawton yes you are right all hand made on site .just like the real thing cheers.
Now I have to build 2 new stair cases the ones I built before don't fit I should have waited.

finescalerr

Another gem, Kim. -- Russ

1-32

Morning all hoping you are in all the best of health wherever you are?
Moving along.
My little real estate earner is being added to.
The sun shades have been added as also the 2 staircases. Really to the actual building, there has to be added the roof vent and some guttering maybe also some door hardware then it is onto the landscaping.
All the best Kim.

Ray Dunakin

Interesting sun shades!
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

finescalerr

I love that house. It's coming along adequately. -- Russ

fspg2

Kim,

great to accompany your construction progress!
Frithjof

Lawton Maner

Don't forget to add an outdoor shower under the house.  They are features in many of the beach houses here in Virginia to clean up after a day at the beach.  Another excuse to make some lattice work.  Then a clothes line under there as well.