• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Sandy Hollow

Started by 1-32, November 30, 2020, 05:48:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

finescalerr

Get well. Be healthy. Don't take any chances with COVID. Glad you had a good trip. Disappointed you got sick. -- Russ

Design-HSB

Kim, then I wish you a speedy recovery if possible without a severe course. Then you can enjoy the great impressions of your trip for a long time and thank you for letting me participate.
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

1-32

Thank you, everybody bloody Covid.
Just a quick note on the Austrian Hungarian model of the dreadnought.
Its name is Viribus Unitis in 1-50 scale, not 1-12 scale still a huge model. One side is complete the other side a cut away with extraordinary hand-built detail , yes everything is cut in half.

Ray Dunakin

I can't even imagine how much work went into building that cutaway!
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Hauk

Quote from: 1-32 on June 07, 2022, 12:50:33 AM
Just a quick note on the Austrian Hungarian model of the dreadnought.
Its name is Viribus Unitis in 1-50 scale, not 1-12 scale still a huge model. One side is complete the other side a cut away with extraordinary hand-built detail , yes everything is cut in half.

That model is way cool! Pedagogical in the very best sense of the word.
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

1-32

Yes,,it had a fairly short unless carrier ending at the bottom of the Mediterranean in 1918.
I have done a quick search but can not find out who actually made the model which is usual.
If you want more detail there are a lot of photos online.
Cheers

Lawton Maner

What you cannot see in the cutaway is that once you subtract the ammo lockers, fuel bunkers, engine room, and ship's stores spaces along with office spaces, galley, and other support spaces there isn't a lot of room left for crew quarters.  On the USS North Carolina on display in Wilmington, NC officer and crew quarters are crammed into every odd corner of the ship.  A warship is a very crowded place to live with crew comfort second to its prime purpose. 

On air craft carriers the mess room below hanger deck serves double duty as the final assembly point for the bombs and missiles which are loaded onto aircraft on the deck above.  The mess tables are arranged around and under the lifts, hoists, and other equipment used to serve the assembly area during air operations.

1-32

And the crew list was large stoking and everything else used human mussels, most likely between 1 to 2 thousand crew ?
You are right Lawton they did not think much about crew accommodation.
cheers

1-32

Morning as always wishing you all the very best.
Back to the back blocks of Australia and the narrow gauge world of Sandy Hollow on a 1/35 scale.
Sandy Hollow is made of three 3 scenes and many mini small baseboards just like the toy box when you were a kid, loved the special occasions of play when you were allowed to unpack the toy box.
This is a simple quick mock-up of a small section -signal, crossing gates, and the turnout leaver with a bit of ground cover.
The signal is a handmade version of simple red light stop clear light go with a guillotine-style blade -I want to keep it in the style of a narrow gauge setting . The lamp is a big spirit-based metal construction very antique,
Now it all looks ok so on with the finished product.
cheers, Kim.

finescalerr

Your choices add greatly to the diorama's charisma. -- Russ

Ray Dunakin

I agree, that will add a lot of interest to this little scene!

Ray Dunakin's World

1-32

Hi everybody as always wishing you all the very best.
Moving along with my little narrow-gauge starting signal in a 1/35 to 1/32 scale, size 120 mm or nearly 5 inches high.
.With my signals I like to get them to work mechanically just like the real thing ,a bit of a fiddle but in the end they work.
In the first picture with the black card are some bits from the top, turnout leaver later, the signal arm, and at the bottom the crank with weight all nickel silver one of my favorite materials.
The last two photos are these signal items in place to come are the lamp, ladder, leaver, and the final finish.
cheers.

Ray Dunakin

Ray Dunakin's World

Sami

finescalerr

Adequate. We've known each other since the mid 1990s so I know this isn't the first signal you've built but your ability to build such attractive ones always impresses me. -- Russ