• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Sandy Hollow

Started by 1-32, November 30, 2020, 05:48:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

finescalerr

So did you buy a new camera or lens to take that rather nice photo? -- Russ

1-32

Morning Russ.
I have had a DSLR for years just an entry-level camera.
I wanted to get a lens that I could a lot of a scene in focus with depth of field.
So researched on U Tube the theory about what I wanted and then on Marketplace searched the options.
There is a lot out there and with mirrored DSLR it is getting cheaper,
The lifespan of a mirrored DSLR is between 50 thousand and 100 thousand shots depending on the quality, so I could just keep updating my old camera technology or spend a lot of money on a Digital camera with better focus and bells and whistles.
We will see .
cheers

Lawton Maner

That is a great self portrait.  You who work in larger scales are lucky to have access to figurines with expressive faces and with 3d printing can get one which nails a feeling perfectly.  The simplicity of the background even helps set the mood.  You look a bit tired after all the work you've done on the diorama.   

1-32

Hi Lawton.
The scale is not perfect I know at least 3 manafactures of 1/32 figures and they are all different but I live with it.
This group is glossy but again I live with it but the quality is outstanding.
I believe these figures are actual people,the subjects are scanned and then printed then individually painted anything with fingers  I will buy.

1-32

Anyway moving along  I know you are all ok and are just fantastic as the saying goes.
The big job and its three segments.
The first is the boat harbour with the narrow gauge railway travelling towards civilisation.
Lawton, I took your thought about how exact the back hill was and changed it now much better a bit more character.
The landscape is dray with a channel between the back hill and the track collecting water and a bit of green vegetation.
Most of the scene is water for boats as I go along more opportunities are being considered.
Over the years I have built a lot of stuff most of which I have never shown, it is all good most need a repaint or a bit more detail I  plan to use it all, a bit like cleaning out the cupboard.
cheers
DSC_9872 (2).jpg

Bill Gill

Kim, I looking forward to feasting on your cupboard gleanings, they'll surely be a treat.

1-32

Hi, Bill how are you doing?
Now for some pictures.
DSC_9983 (2).jpgDSC_9911 (2).jpgDSC_9935 (2).jpg   

finescalerr

Now you're talkin'! Nice work, Kim. -- Russ

Ray Dunakin

Nice progress! It looks great!
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Sami

Very nice ! I like the ambiances of your little layout.

Bill Gill

Kim, I'm doing OK, Thanks for asking.
Neat photos! Like how that's looking!

Lawton Maner

Flat finish the figure, add a cigarette in one hand, and a can of Fosters in the other and he'll be perfect. 

Ar you going to add Bogie and Hepburn to the boat?

1-32

Morning all .
I made a comment about rust on Volkers post and got 2 great replies from Lawrence and Volker Are there any more?
Yes, I have tried acids, sanding and just plain abuse on Styrine and the result is the same just a mess.
Etching fluids on metal sounds interesting and oven cleaner, OK, maybe my idea of just flicking a fluid onto a surface and watching the corrosion is not possible.
Yes Lawton I agree the figures are too shiny, is the gloss an end result of how they are printed?
So moving along with the big job on a scale of 1/32 to 1/35 here is a picture of a bit of the progress of late.
cheers.
DSC_0091.jpg

Lawton Maner

I painted figures for D&D years ago and always used flat paint, most from Floquil. 

After finishing painting I would slop (a technical term) a wash of brush cleaning solvent which settles into the crevices creating shadows.  The Floquil paints were flat lacquers so the final product looked right.  Just spray the figures with flat finish and then touch up pieces which would be glossy such as eye glasses. 

1-32

Russ I Just got a secondhand lens it is so much fun.
DSC_0202.jpg  Thanks, Lawton and all.
I might have banged on about this before but I feel if you are going to the trouble to build all the detail I want to see it warts and all.
Instagram is so useless you can't blow up the pictures and they are always portrait-size.
Here you can go for  it is great