• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1:35th Muir Hill rail tractor

Started by Bernhard, December 02, 2020, 07:00:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

finescalerr

You are truly a master craftsman and it is a real pleasure to see your models evolve. Those etched parts are just perfect. -- Russ

Ray Dunakin

Wow! Great work! Can the wheels still turn, or are they held in place by the non-functional chain?
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Bernhard

Thanks guys. Ray, yes the wheels can turn. The holes in the hubs of the sprockets are slightly larger than the axles. The axles are even properly sprung.

Bernhard

Barney

What are the steps in making PE parts - will the company do the drawings if a "basic drawing" (freehand Drawing) with sizes is supplied - Im interested in those drive chains -I need six of various sizes for my Keystone skimmer project
Barney 
Never Let someone who has done nothing tell you how to do anything
Stuart McPherson

Bernhard

Barney, the supplier needs a 1:1 drawing of the complete etch sheet, with front and back side.
He then etches the sheet from this.

Bernhard

The chain is built from 3 layers, each 0.3 mm thick.
The hubs are turned parts that are put on separately.
I don't know if my supplier draws the etching templates himself, and if he delivers abroad (he is based in Germany). I can ask him after the holidays.
But I could make the drawing for your chains. Maybe you have a supplier near you.

Bernhard

Bernhard

Barney, good news: the supplier also works with fully meshed hand sketches and delivers to England.
The supplier is: http://www.aehc.de/Modellbau1/
Email documents to Thomas Engel: CDS@AeHC.de
Please send him your complete contact information, so he can follow up if needed.

Bernhard

Barney

Bernhard - thanks for sorting my PE issues  will be in touch soon - sent you an email
Barney
Never Let someone who has done nothing tell you how to do anything
Stuart McPherson

Chuck Doan

Amazing! Fun to see how it it built.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Bernhard

Back to the topic: the next assembly is the brake of the rail tractor. Again, Colin Copcutt's photos provided me with valuable information.
(Photos: Colin Copcutt)

Bernhard

The design: a few parts are slightly simplified so that they can be made at all.

Bernhard

First, the contour of the traverses is milled on the rotary table.

Bernhard

Then the parts are slotted ...

Bernhard

... and finally soldered the bolts for the brake shoes.