• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

The RUTH Gasoline Loco Denver Colorado

Started by Barney, March 10, 2021, 07:10:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barney

A Ruth mining critter - built mainly from Plastic Card /Acrylic rod and Evergreen sections This one being my norm of one that has been modified through its life which includes a modified Model T Ford engine and gearbox an add on ignition system a slab type fuel tank (often fitted to diesel versions ) and larger radiator. Information from The American Industrial mining web site well worth a look full of interesting stuff
The wheels and the drive wheels are Acrylic rod with a plastic card flange -The seat I think could do with a bit of lowering -the Ford T engine is a nice little job from an ICM Kit it has been modified with a new timing case for the modified ignition and the front pulley is wider for 2 belts for the fan and a small compressor 
Never Let someone who has done nothing tell you how to do anything
Stuart McPherson

Barney

Stuart McPherson

Barney

Seat to needs to be lower - don't want the driver to be to comfortable
Stuart McPherson

Barney

Resin coupler fitted front and rear - nice castings from Avalon from the G scale range (formerly Pepper 7)
Barney
Stuart McPherson

Barney

Some info on ignition improvements for T engines - Taken from an old Motor magazine bought from a Junk Shop /Auto jumble many years ago
Stuart McPherson

Barney

Stuart McPherson

Bernhard

Nice stuff, Barney. I'm definitely going to build one too!

Bernhard

finescalerr

What did you use to represent the radiator screening (if that's the right term)? Is it a commercial texture or did you scribe it? Also, just because I'm curious, could you have fabricated the motor yourself and achieved similar or better results? I suspect you could completely scratchbuild almost anything if you were in the mood ... with no loss of perfection. -- Russ

Barney

Radiator is basically as my DAC Drawing (DAC=CAD backwards )No CAD here just Paper and pencil !!- I will show the full procedure tomorrow as the first Rad Has now been scraped not happy with it - I have used the ICM Ford T engine because I don't think you could better it in any way measures up perfectly -  The only thing I have to do is a change of front covers for the new ignition system
Barney
Stuart McPherson

Barney

New Radiator main components - Evergreen strip/sections + centre 60thou plastic card
Stuart McPherson

Barney

30 thou Evergreen rod laid on centre and glued -  best left until completely dry before ends are trimmed off - then turned over to do other side
Note the cost of £2:10 on Evergreen pack must of bought it when I was a "young upstart"
Stuart McPherson

Barney

Stuart McPherson

finescalerr

Aha! That final photo is big enough to show how you went about it and how neatly. Thanks. -- Russ

Barney

Radiator now ready for side frames /filler cap /overflow pipe and a few nuts /bolts
Stuart McPherson

Barney

Had A second look at the chassis it required a few adjustments - so I rebuilt it - The radiator was to low and the rear drive (the lump of acrylic rod ) was to high now happy with it so its onward we go !
Stuart McPherson