• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Another Ransomes portable

Started by Les Tindall, March 11, 2021, 01:26:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Les Tindall

Having seen Gordon's lovely 1/35th scale Ransome's portable, and always liking these sort of machines I though I would have a go. What had prevented me in the past was how to fabricate the wheels. Thanks to Gordons "tutorial" I made a start in 16mm (1/19th scale) to go on the diorama. I changed from Gordons wheel rim method (using a circle cut-out template) to wrapping 10thou styrene around a former and it worked fine.   The curly spoke flywheel worried me (hey modelling is supposed to be fun!!) but managed it. In the larger scale is amazing how much more detail is required on the model. The results so far:
Les

Les Tindall

Another view

NORCALLOGGER

Beautiful Les, what are you using for rivets?

Les Tindall

The larger rivets (and nbw's) are from Tichy Trains (direct from them - a good service from them. Used to be able to get them in the UK - sadly no longer), the smaller ones around the firebox sides are from Masterclub (a Russian Company) available in the Uk from Historex Agents.  They are very fine (designed for the military modeller and 1/35th scale) and go down to VERY tiny sizes (like 0.6mm). They do round head rivets, flat spherical rivets, bolts, nuts and nuts with washers.
Les

Barney

Speechless again - another fine model Les - The riveting looks very neat
Barney
Never Let someone who has done nothing tell you how to do anything
Stuart McPherson

WP Rayner

It's gorgeous... very clean and precise. The flywheel with the curved spokes is a beautiful piece of work.
Paul

Stay low, keep quiet, keep it simple, don't expect too much, enjoy what you have.

Chuck Doan

That is some beautiful work Les!
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Bernhard

Nice wheels and perfect rivet work, Les!

Bernhard

finescalerr

Everybody else already has complimented the things I noticed and I can't find a nit to pick. Satisfactory. -- Russ

Gordon Ferguson

Lovely work Les, it's obvious you understand the workings of these machines far better than me ........ better and more accurate detail than anything I tried .

Wish this had been the other way round so I could have learned from and copied some of your lovely details
Gordon

Les Tindall

Thanks all. Gordon the detail came from spending hours looking at photos on various web-site.  Some is "suck it and see" guesswork.  Of course in lock-down we can't get out and "feel" the real machine.
Les 

shropshire lad

Quote from: Les Tindall on March 11, 2021, 01:41:39 PM
Thanks all. Gordon the detail came from spending hours looking at photos on various web-site.  Some is "suck it and see" guesswork.  Of course in lock-down we can't get out and "feel" the real machine.
Les 

Quite right too , there are laws against going around "feeling " random bits of machinery .

Cracking job so far , Les, looking forward to seeing the completed model painted and weathered .

Nick

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Design-HSB

Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

Les Tindall