• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

A tale of two gondolas

Started by John McGuyer, January 17, 2009, 04:18:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John McGuyer

The side at the other end. The paint was scratched with a wire brush, then blasted with 220 grit garnet with an air eraser. Used about 45lbs air pressure. 65lbs is just too aggressive for this application. The garnet is from a water jet. Over the decals, you have to just very lightly tap the air, or it will strip everything off immediately. I think I mentioned the knot holes are twigs.

John McGuyer

The inside has now been worked over with powders. They do quite well on rough wood as they work their way in. Cars like this one are not shelf queens, they get handled a lot, so weathering has to be 'attached' pretty well. To give you an idea, it fell off the table, landed in my lap, then rolled down my legs and fell in the floor. It didn't phase it. Picked it up and set it on the table.

John McGuyer

Here is an overall of the full interior. Don't think I'll fill it full of coal after putting all the nuts and bolts plus the nails on the inside.

John McGuyer

The bottom of the truck with a little dirt and rust. After what it took to splice the ends into a Bachmann truck, next time I think I'll make some patterns and do my own trucks.

John McGuyer

This is the brake end. The question had been asked elsewhere about where the truss rods go. You can see the bolts and washers here. The truss rods on this thing really do go through the end and the bolts are actually attached to them.

John McGuyer

Here is the other end. Getting the light right on this just wasn't working today. I first tried to shoot it in the apartment and not enough light. So I went outside and the sun was so bright that it was making harsh shadows. So I did this in the shade and bracketed three shots and it still looks faded.

John McGuyer

Did a close-up of the brake release/shaft. All of these parts are machined from brass. Getting the little line from the release, through all the bottom braces and up to the cylinder is loads of fun.

John McGuyer

Couplers on a car that will end up being run on rough track like Del Oro Pacific have to be tough. These are Accucraft heads with my own shafts and draft gear. Can't have them breaking down in the middle of a show.

John McGuyer

I tried to get a side shot of the truck so you could see all the mods.

PuckHog

John,  Thank you for continuing this thread (learning a lot about these gondolas)am most impressed with your fine detail work .  That shot of the chain bolted to the top of the coupler is great!!!!!   Randy

John McGuyer

Randy,

Thank you for your kind words. I'm glad somebody is getting something from these posts.

John

PuckHog

Hi John ......I just wanted to let you know that I use your stuff to get me fired back up to get some work done!!!!  Now after I buttered you up,   how in the heck did you make the Nails!!!!!......Keep posting,Please, you have alot of people veiwing and learning...... Randy

finescalerr

Excellent work, John. The gon has the most sophisticated finish I've seen on your models along with the usual meticulous craftsmanship. -- Russ

jacq01

I agree with Uncle.
This goes beyond museum quality.

Jacq
put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

RoughboyModelworks