• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Watery Grave

Started by marc_reusser, January 19, 2009, 12:54:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marc_reusser

Thanks. Thanks for the sketch also.

I understand the issue with the capstan/anchor combo.......but then what is going on with the two boats in the foreground...and the ones in the other photos, where there are no capstans....and what looks like no anchors.?

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Franck Tavernier

Marc,

The gray wood effect is perfect!

jacq01

Marc,

Quotebut then what is going on with the two boats in the foreground...and the ones in the other photos, where there are no capstans....and what looks like no anchors.

The boats in question are actually only the two + possibly a third boat. The size of the very large double bollard with cross member indicates these boats were tugs.  A couple of photo's on the site show the starboard side and one of these boats do show a metal plate over the timber with a hawse pipe.  The boat with the anchor windlass is actually an old fire fighting boat with one of the monitors still in place ( behind the windlass)
As these are local vessels, they might not have been built according to classification rule or federal requirements      Still very weird not having anchors.
The largest part of the photo's is covering these three boats. Very often anchors, chain and working deck machinery were the first parts to be "salvaged" as they can be re-used.

Jacq

put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

marc_reusser

Franck: Thanks. Nice to see you back here.

Jacq: OK....lets see if this works. Is the allignment/arrangement of the items in the attached image correct? Thanks.

Marc

M-Works

marc_reusser

I found these pics of a danube barge in my files.....Kind of like the wheelhouse and low cabin Shape & design....thinking of maybe doing an adaptation of this for the small (steel hulled boat).

M-Works

jacq01

Marc,

the last set up is best suited for the size boat you have. Round of the corners of the doublers ( hard spots)
  If you are looking for a lower wheelhouse have a look at these purse seiners.
  The mast and derricks ( booms) in bended/ broken/ leaning over can give some nice effects on the diorama set up.
  You are aware that the wheelhouse on the Danube barge is on the rear, sitting directly over the rudder quadrant?

Jacq

I am what I remember.

marc_reusser

Hallo Marc,

Wilkommen zum Foren.

Danke fuer den Lob. Hoffentlich wird es am ende was.

Ist wirklich gut dich hier zu sehen. Hoffentlich zeigst du einige deiner projekte. Was hast du momentan unterwegs?

Mach dir keine sorgen wegen dem English...wie mann sagt, "Ein Bild ist ein tausend Worte wert".  ;) (und wenn du willst kann ich immer uebersetzen. [Du musst nur hoffen das ich nicht irgend ein Mist schreibe  ;) ;D ;D]

Bern...ein Bier am alten Tramdepot, oder Egli beim See in Biel waere noch gerade shoen.....aber es ist momentan bestimmt schei.... kalt.

Marc

For Our English speaking contingent:  ;)

Hi Marc,
Welcome to the Forum.
Thanks for the Kind words. Hopefully it turns out ok in the end.
It's Good to see you here. Hopefully you will post some of your work/projects. What are you currently working on?
No worries about the English....as they say..."A picture is worth a thousand words".

M-Works

marc_reusser

Quote from: jacq01 on January 29, 2009, 05:51:18 AM
  Marc,

You are aware that the wheelhouse on the Danube barge is on the rear, sitting directly over the rudder quadrant?

Jacq

Rudder in rear....that much I do know about boats.  ;) ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Marc

M-Works

jacq01

OK you got it,   next the proper names

rear  =  stern
  front =  bow 

left and right follow shortly...      ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Jacq
I am what I remember.

chester

I usually only concern myself with where the galley and the head are on most vessels.
Have you come up with some water yet Marc? I have used just about everything from Envirotex to the Vallejo water and they all behave very much the same in terms of the "riding up". In such a small scale it's quite evident. My solution to this was not to completely finish anything directly at the waterline, pour water and then add the final touches where the water product has done it's thing to disguise it as much as possible. For where the product meets the hull of a vessel, I implied some wave type movement in the water with a different product that will stand on it's own like the WS "water effects" or a clear two part epoxy. I should note that I have had a problem with the Woodland Scenics Realistic Water in that over time it has developed small cracks. Not seen with any of the other products mentioned.
   This is my latest effort on a small steam launch diorama using a combination of the Vallejo flat water and WS water effects.

By the way, progress so far is spectacular on the vessels.

RoughboyModelworks

Interesting project Marc...

I do know the pointy bit goes to the front...  ;) ;D ;D ;D

Paul

Belg

And for those boats that don't have a head, ........

Don't pee into the wind! Pat

marc_reusser

Chester: Thanks for the Info. Much appreciated. I like how you achieved the flowwing and disturbed water in your scene. Very convincingly done. Talk about a shallow draft though  ;) ;D

Slow progress. About 10 hours worth.

First step was to add the bow piece. this was followed by adding the upper "bumper rail". Note that the rail is installed about .010" above the decking. This was done to give a positive stop and guide for the railing and trim detail later on.

Next came the scribing of the horizontal and vertical hull plate lines. For the horizontals I used an old carpenters trick. By carefuly running locked dividers along the upper bumper rail, you will get a traced paralell line where you need/want it.

Vertical Panel lines were then scribed deeper using a Mission Models .010 panel scriber.

The final steps were to attach the other bumper rails (these are 1/2 round styrene), and insert .015" (.004) styrene rod into the scribed vertical plate lines. These thin rods were then treated the same manner as on the deck, to represent the welds seams.

This pretty much completes the basic hull. Now I can move on to the rudder area, hull details and the superstructure.

Marc

M-Works

chester

Ingenious method and nice job of 'fairing the chine'.

Belg

Marc, really enjoying another one of your builds come together. Pat