• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Watery Grave

Started by marc_reusser, January 19, 2009, 12:54:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marc_reusser

It is for a mag project.....but I can tell you it's a no brainer, even Gordon could do it  ;D

It's not ground up foam....I tried several iterations using foam, and none worked for an overal finish ...it was okay to use to create the one-off extreme growth, or in very limited combo with something like this method...but in general in my experience the foam is clumsy, too springy, too hard to apply evenly and to difficult to control, and generally out of scale (working in 1/35).

For the base process, it uses one color of Vallejo paint, two AK products, and a mystery ingredient ;D....sorry but all I can say at the moment. :-[
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

marc_reusser

Wow....that green is REALLY bright in the sunlight!  :o

M-Works

Hydrostat

Marc, this looks unbelievable realistic. Maybe I would expect the wood to be darker/moist at the alga area too.

Volker
I'll make it. If I have to fly the five feet like a birdie.
I'll fly it. I'll make it.

The comprehensive book about my work: "Vollendete Baukunst"

marc_reusser

Volker, You are correct, there should be a darker area, however I am waiting till I set it in the scene, to get a better feel of how much, and to use it to  blend/transition into the ground around it as well.

I know you guys are already thinking, "That boy ain't right in the head"....but, while straightening up the bench,  I came across this pic of a salt marsh walkway, and figured I would give it a quick go.

M-Works

Mr Potato Head

"That boy ain't right in the head"....
NO
NEVER!
NOT! Once has that thought ever entered my mind ::) ::)
MPH
Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho

Ray Dunakin

That walkway is great, what an interesting subject to model!
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

marc_reusser

M-Works

Lawton Maner

The mystery ingredient wouldn't happen to be Baking Soda would it? 

Tiny amounts applied carefully can build texture like that when using acrylic paints when dusted onto the wet primer layer. 

marc_reusser

Woodland Scenics Hydrocal plaster.......mixed in...not sprinkled.

M-Works

Andi Little

Marvellous ... always, Marvellous.
KBO..................... Andi.

finescalerr

I can't remember: Is this a diversion from your assignment projects or is it one of them? -- Russ

marc_reusser

Thank you so very much Andi.

Russ, the moss, and its wariants, is for the third article in a series on creating "Rotting Wood", (And the whole series is one of the demos I will be doing in April)

M-Works

Peter_T1958

Quote from: marc_reusser on February 22, 2013, 08:55:54 PM
Woodland Scenics Hydrocal plaster.......mixed in...not sprinkled.

Very inspiring thread! Now I'd like to practise some of these hints to improve my own project  ;)
Have read your first article in the ModelFan magazine. Great! Can't wait for the next issue ...   

Cheers, Peter
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" -Leonardo Da Vinci-

https://industrial-heritage-in-scale.blogspot.ch/

marc_reusser

Thank you Peter.

Glad it was of interest. I haven't seen it yet, so I have no idea what it says or looks like. :)

Marc

M-Works

marc_reusser

It wouldn't be "business as usual" if I didn't wake up this morning, and decide on a whole new direction on a build...that of course creates tons more work. And so I spent the day doing flaking and peeling paint on the hull exterior...still a bunch of rusty metal bits/details to add now; and more weathering. Oh joy! :/ :)

M-Works