• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Watery Grave

Started by marc_reusser, January 19, 2009, 12:54:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mad gerald

Marc,

Quote from: marc_reusser on February 24, 2013, 02:33:28 AM
It wouldn't be "business as usual" if I didn't wake up this morning, and decide on a whole new direction on a build...that of course creates tons more work. And so I spent the day doing flaking and peeling paint on the hull exterior...
... glad to read, that I'm not the only one suffering from this way of modelling ... ;D ... looking forward to further progress on this ...  8)

Cheers

Design-HSB

Hello Marc
understand this well I can, but if I would not there the discipline I would not come in my cave monastery priority.

But a great work makes you want more.
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

chester

Is anything ever really finished to the complete satisfaction of it's modeler/creator?

finescalerr

I think the whole thing looks wrong and you should throw it out and start from scratch. At least two more times. -- Russ

shropshire lad

Quote from: finescalerr on February 24, 2013, 11:56:44 AM
I think the whole thing looks wrong and you should throw it out and start from scratch. At least two more times. -- Russ

So you don't want Marc to put it in a box and give it to you for safe keeping ? It is really that bad ?

I wish I had your eye for what looks good and what doesn't . Here's me thinking that it looks great . I guess I need to completely revise my way at viewing  other people's models .

Nick

finescalerr

Two good ideas, Nick. Let's embarrass Marc into building multiples of each diorama and giving us the "rejects". For those helpful suggestions you may come out of the corner ... for a little while. -- Russ

marc_reusser

Sorry lads...the waste bin has first dibs. :)
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Gordon Ferguson

No problem Marc, we will drop in and empty it for you !

That's what we do with Barney  ;)
Gordon

mad gerald

Marc,

Quote from: marc_reusser on February 24, 2013, 02:33:28 AM
It wouldn't be "business as usual" if I didn't wake up this morning, and decide on a whole new direction on a build...that of course creates tons more work. And so I spent the day doing flaking and peeling paint on the hull exterior...still a bunch of rusty metal bits/details to add now; and more weathering. Oh joy! :/ :)

.. another thing that came to my mind, looking at this pic (above) several times ...  ::) .. I do not find these orange coloured (algae?) stains as realistic and convincing as usual, regarding your other comparable modelling ... IMHO they seem to be spread too randomly across the hull ...  ??? ... me thinks it would eventually look better, if you'd place them only in the upper (more dry) area of the hull - and place a larger amount of spots together like in your other reference pic:

Quote from: marc_reusser on January 22, 2013, 03:44:22 AM

Cheers

JohnTolcher

Hi Marc, I thought it was perfect but it's just getting better!

But I tend to agree with Gerald, the orange stains seem a little too evenly spaced, making them seem somewhat artifiicial. Better chuck it in the bin.

Or you could keep it and just do what Gerald said -either way is good. ;D
Cheers
John in Australia

marc_reusser

Thanks for the critique Gerald.

I was trying not to overdo the orange at this stage. It is one of those things that I was concerened could easily, and quickly get out of hand...especially because the orange offers a very stark contrast.....sort of like chipping and rust do. I wanted to wait till the rest of the details were added, and the hull was set in the ground, before doing any more weathering. (this side of the hull will be buried about 1 board below the missing plank; just below eher the blue ends.)

The other item I was dealing with, was the reference photos I was using for the orange.

Note on Image_1 that the orancge spots are pretty sparse and scattered though there are small groupings along and on top of the hull edge.

In image 2, there are more dense clusters on  the hull side, but mist of the heavy groupings here ar on top of the missing boards. I copied this heavy effect of the orange on top of the boards at the missing one in my hull, but it does not show as well in the model image, due to angle.

I will definitely add some more, as I get a better handle on the scenery, and there are some elements to balance the color/look.

M-Works

marc_reusser

Thanks John, appreciate the input. Yes, the randomness is something that is difficult to achieve...like you and gerald not, more spots and some larger areas wwould help. It's very nerving to do/add, as it can quickly go wrong :)

I have have left it as is for this Article (as I am out of time), but as both you gents seem to feel strongly, I will add give a go at adding more for the next one, where it well be set in the base. :)

M-Works

marc_reusser

Dont know if this image helps or hurts the discussion; but as time is up, here is as it stands for this go-round. :)

M-Works

marc_reusser

One more on this theme. One a snappy of the post test piece. Not perfect by a long shot, but time to move on.

M-Works

marc_reusser

M-Works