• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Watery Grave

Started by marc_reusser, January 19, 2009, 12:54:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ray Dunakin

Beautiful! I like all the rusty metal bits.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Gordon Ferguson

Coming together well Marc, it's a looking good  and worth all the work you have put into this piece!

FWIW ... Orange alge spots, when I did these on the "wall" I found the best way of both getting random spots and a variation in thier size was to use the "flicking a brush" approach, this combined with some masking to control the area effected and some increase in size afterwards with some additional brushwork.
Gordon

marc_reusser

Thanks Ray!

Gordon; Thanks, great tip. Will give it a go. (Suppose you now want a foot-note or credit  ;) )
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

mad gerald

Marc,

I'm going d'accord with your concern that this effect can easily be overdone, apart from the circumstances that you are working under (time) pressure in this case and so aren't given leeway for further approaches ...  8)

Quote from: marc_reusser on February 25, 2013, 04:24:54 PM
Dont know if this image helps or hurts the discussion; but as time is up, here is as it stands for this go-round. :)

... my impression is, that regarding this pic the yellow spots look quite right especially in the lower section of the hull, but I still would see some room for improvement along the middle section ...  ::)

Nevertheless a great piece of modelling!

Cheers

finescalerr

I still think you should throw it out and start over. That excuse about "no time" is flimsy. But, assuming your excuse to be true, I would consider the results most satisfactory. -- Russ

marc_reusser

My life runs on "flimsy excuses", copius amounts of coffee, and Xanax. :D

M-Works

marc_reusser

I got a nice and very helpful note (as well as some photos), and a Wiki link, from forum member Bill Gill re. the orange lichen...."Xanthoria parietina"....very useful and interesting (at least to me) ....and thought it might be of use/interest to some others as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xanthoria_parietina

M-Works

Malachi Constant

You might be the only modeler actually trying to model lichen!  (Rather than use lichen to represent stuff that doesn't look like that)  (Does this make any sense?)  ???  8)  -- Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

shropshire lad

Quote from: Malachi Constant on February 26, 2013, 09:54:11 PM
You might be the only modeler actually trying to model lichen!  (Rather than use lichen to represent stuff that doesn't look like that)  (Does this make any sense?)  ???  8)  -- Dallas

No .

Barney

Outstanding - top marks for detail and attention to those little bits and pieces that are often missed out .
Barney 

Malachi Constant

Quote from: shropshire lad on February 27, 2013, 12:13:20 AM

No .

Yeah, well that figures ... I speak English as a foreign language!  ;D

For many years, modelers here have used (actual) lichen to model trees and bushes and such ... and it's not very convincing, because it always looks like lichen!

Now, Marc is actually modeling lichen ... but in scale ... new twist ...
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

shropshire lad

Quote from: Malachi Constant on February 28, 2013, 12:34:01 PM
Quote from: shropshire lad on February 27, 2013, 12:13:20 AM

No .

Yeah, well that figures ... I speak English as a foreign language!  ;D

For many years, modelers here have used (actual) lichen to model trees and bushes and such ... and it's not very convincing, because it always looks like lichen!

Now, Marc is actually modeling lichen ... but in scale ... new twist ...

Oh , they've been doing the same over here for just as long . It usually always looks rubbish . I also use a type of lichen for my bushes . But that doesn't look rubbish . Well , not to me it doesn't .

Nick

finescalerr

What if it doesn't look at all like rubbish and even looks terrific ... but still IS rubbish? Have you ever considered that possibility? Of course not. That is why you have spent so much time in the corner. -- ssuR

marc_reusser

Quote from: shropshire lad on February 28, 2013, 02:21:12 PM
Oh , they've been doing the same over here for just as long . It usually always looks rubbish . I also use a type of lichen for my bushes . But that doesn't look rubbish . Well , not to me it doesn't .

Nick

Well, if you rarely, if ever, post any work, how are we to judge.  ;D ;D

M

M-Works

TRAINS1941

Beautiful work Marc.

That boat looks more like a sunken boat than a real sunken boat looks!!!
Does that make sense?

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin