• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Locomotive Carrying Case

Started by WP Rayner, September 28, 2021, 06:57:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WP Rayner

Came across these small grainy snapshots while digging through my photo archive recently. Not at all happy with the quality of the images, but thought I'd share them anyway.  Back in the early 1990s, I built three of these locomotive carrying cases for some of my custom-finishing clients, specifically for Kodama On3 K-27 locos. Carcass of the box itself is 1/2" Birch Play with Maple edging, veneered in Curly Maple, then trimmed in Purpleheart. Brass hardware is all hidden. The cradle for the locomotive that fits into the box is made from Purpleheart. Foam was applied to both sides of the cradle, as well as top and bottom of the case. Grooves were cut into the base of the cradle at On3 gauge for the loco wheelsets. The case made it possible to transport the model without damaging finish details, something that often happened when stuffing the model into its original box.

LocoCase1Final.jpg

LocoCase2Final.jpg
Paul

Stay low, keep quiet, keep it simple, don't expect too much, enjoy what you have.

finescalerr

Not bad, Paul. I remember visiting you back then but, as I recall, all I saw was an On2 layout and maybe a scratchbuilt locomotive. No gorgeous wood cases were on display. -- Russ

WP Rayner

Thanks Russ. I made these when I was still in Maryland, prior to moving to California. If I remember correctly, you came up to Lompoc and visited with Richard and me... seems like ancient history doesn't it.
Paul

Stay low, keep quiet, keep it simple, don't expect too much, enjoy what you have.

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

WP Rayner

Paul

1-32

Hi Paul.
Yes but the way the wood is milled really sets it apart.
cheers

Bill Gill

A beautiful case!
Your purpleheart trim reminded me of a project I did using a tiny piece of purple heart. I posted it here to not detract from your thread:
http://www.finescalerr.com/smf/index.php?topic=3177.0