• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1:35th Wilford power shovel B

Started by Bernhard, December 28, 2021, 07:18:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bernhard

Track units
The tracks of the shovel are driven by the rear axles of the Fordson tractor.
Ted Valpey describes the function as follows:
"In the foreground is the 4 levers to propel the machine.  2 levers are for the left and right drive chain brakes and the other two are for left and right axle engagement.  To turn the machine to the left you engage the right axle, disengage the left axle, and apply the left brake as needed while driving (forward or reverse).  The seat turns 180 degrees to face rearward to give access to the 4 levers as well as the clutch and gearshift lever while propelling the machine. The two brake levers can be locked on while digging."
(Picture: Ted Valpey)

Bernhard

This is how it looks in the model:

Bernhard

All other functions are driven from the PTO of the Fordson tractor.

Main drive
A chain leads from the PTO to a bevel gear located in the center under the turntable. From there, motion continues upward and is distributed.

Bernhard

Bernhard

Bucket drive
The bucket is lifted by a winch. Lowering is done by gravity. The winch drum has a clutch and a band brake.

Bernhard

Bernhard

Bucket arm drive
The bucket arm is driven by a rope and a rope drum that works like a capstan. The rope is attached to the bucket arm at the top and bottom. By reversing the direction of rotation of the rope drum, the bucket arm retracts or extends.
(Picture: Ray Dunakin)

Bernhard

Bernhard

Rotary drive
The turntable is rotated by a reversing gear and then by a sprocket to a large internal geard ring, mounted on the frame of the shovel (see picture 011).

Bernhard

Bernhard

All in all, a really impressive mechanism! Rebuilding this in 1:35 scale will be similar to building a Swiss wristwatch. The turntable is 35 mm in diameter, just about the size of one.

Bernhard

Chuck Doan

Wonderful work so far! Excellent CAD. Very interesting how they used both the rear axles and the power take off.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

finescalerr

I couldn't possibly have figured out all that mechanical stuff ... unless my mom helped me. The CAD drawings are beautiful and must have taken weeks to create. An outstanding start. -- Russ

WP Rayner

Incredibly complex piece of kit Bernhard, but you are well on the way to producing an outstanding model. As always, your CAD work is excellent... well done.
Paul

Stay low, keep quiet, keep it simple, don't expect too much, enjoy what you have.

Barney

Its giving me a headache already ! incredible workmanship in producing the impressions and drawings - it looks like its going to be an impressive little critter
Barney
Never Let someone who has done nothing tell you how to do anything
Stuart McPherson