• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1:35th Wilford power shovel B

Started by Bernhard, December 28, 2021, 07:18:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bernhard

I'm glad you like what you've seen so far.
But now enough of the theory. Let's get down to business!

The model

For the construction some main dimensions are used, which Gordon Birrell published in his thread. Further reference dimensions are taken from an original brochure, as well as a good picture, from which missing dimensions can be approximately measured out.

Bernhard

From this I spent many hours creating the 3D model of the shovel.

Bernhard

Bernhard

The first assembly to be created is the frame of the shovel.

Bernhard

I did not take any pictures of the production of the frame itself. But it is simply soldered together from various U-channels, H-Beams and some gussets.

As you can see in Ray's pictures, the individual parts of the frame are held together by distinctive rivets.
(Image: Ray Dunakin)

Bernhard

These must of course be reproduced in the model. To do this, a large number of holes with a diameter of 0.8 mm must be drilled in the frame.

Bernhard

To display the rivets, I used the method Frithjof showed here in the forum some time ago.
A brass wire with 0.8 mm diameter is rounded on one side with a concave cutter.

Bernhard

The wire is glued into the hole with Loctite, cut off and the protruding remainder is also rounded.

Bernhard

The diagonal frame is made similarly. For soldering and subsequent drilling, I milled a simple jig on the rotary table.

Bernhard

Bernhard

The upper pivot bearing and supports are riveted to the diagonal frame.

Bernhard

Then the two parts are assembled.

Bernhard

The internal geared ring is a 3D printed part. It has a module of 0.3 mm and 110 teeth.
For this project, I had all 3D printed parts made by a supplier in Germany that Volker recommended to me. All parts, most of them very thin walled or extremely small, came in top quality with barely visible layer buildup. The sprocket from the rotary drive even runs correctly in the geared ring.

Bernhard

The frame has been completed with some more parts and is ready for now.

Bernhard

fspg2

Hello Bernhard,

I like that, both your CAD and your frame.
Why are you using Loctite and not soldering the wires?

Overall, a great project that I am happy to continue to pursue!
Frithjof