• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1:48 SBB shunting tractor Te I

Started by Bernhard, January 27, 2022, 02:30:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bernhard

Hello modeling friends

I would like to show you here briefly my very first model, which I started over 35 years ago: a shunting tractor Te I of the SBB (Swiss Federal Railways). After half of the construction time I left the project for many years because of other priorities. In 2003, I accidentally found the parts again in a box, and finally finished building the model.

Bernhard

The Prototype

The shunting tractors Te I with the numbers 44 to 60 were built between 1941 and 1956 by the companies SLM Tuchschmid and MFO (Maschinenfabrik Oerlikon).

Performance90 kW
Lenght5'620 mm
Weight13 t
Speedmsx. 60 km/h

Bernhard

The model

As a basis I used a detailed construction guide, which was published in a model railroad magazine at the time. I built the model with the simplest means: a fretsaw, a simple box column drill, a set of key files and a soldering iron.
Various parts such as wheels, buffers, couplers and the pantograph were purchased.
Of course, motor is built in.
The model was painted by a professional paint store. I did not want to disfigure the model at the end with a thick paint shower from a spray can.

Bernhard

The frame

Bernhard

The floor with railings

Bernhard

The cabin

Bernhard

The roof

Bernhard

And here are two photos of the state before the painting.

Bernhard

And here the finished model.

Bernhard

Bernhard

Hauk

Very crisp metalwork, and that paintshop really did your model justice.

My only gripe would be the rather crude pantograph, but I guess that is not your handiwork?
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

Bernhard

Thanks Hauk. I actually bought the pantograph at that time. Today, of course, I would build it myself and more prototypically.

Bernhard

Hydrostat

Disgustingly well done for a very first model ...  :o

Cheers,
Volker
I'll make it. If I have to fly the five feet like a birdie.
I'll fly it. I'll make it.

The comprehensive book about my work: "Vollendete Baukunst"

Bill Gill

Oh great, Not that I could come close to that level even now, but you built it 35 years ago as your first model.
Are you thinking of maybe replacing the pantograph with one you will build? It looks good.

Bernhard

Thanks Volker and Bill. I will leave the model in the condition I built it then. I will not replace the pantograph, because then I would have to do some work in other places, e.g. on the interior.

Bernhard