• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Hulett Ore Unloader in 1:32th

Started by Bernhard, February 08, 2023, 08:20:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bernhard

Paul,
I found some of the original drawings here
The other part comes from the extensive estate of Ceff Clarc, archived in the library of Bowling Green University. They have kindly digitised some of the original plans for me there.
If you have any good photos, I would be very interested if you could share them. Each photo is a source of interesting information about the project. Can you send me the photos or links by P/N?

Bernhard

Lawton Maner

Bernhard:
My late Mother knitted for over a year in a retirement center and still got strange looks from some of the other residents.  You just have to be sure that you do not have to use edged weapons or flames to work on the rivets as the nice men in white jackets might feel you could be of harm to someone. 

Juke Joint

Hauk

There was a discussion about rivets a while back, but I don´t think this producer of rivet decals was mentioned:

Railtec-models

And here is a source of plastic rivets:

Plastic rivets, 0,8mm Head
They are €7,50 for 250 pcs. Several head diameters are available.
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

Bernhard

Thanks for the tips, Hauk.
I bought some time ago samples of rivet decals. But they are too small for 1:32 scale, and I wonder if they stick well enough to the surface.
The plastic rivets, on the other hand, look interesting. I will get some samples and test them.

Current status in the matter:
I bought a rivet punching tool thanks to Frithjof's tip. I will show it here as soon as it is in my workshop.
I also know from my former job turning shops that produce small parts for the watch industry. There I have requested larger quantities of model rivets.

Bernhard

Krusty

Quote from: Hauk on May 10, 2023, 07:35:27 AMAnd here is a source of plastic rivets:

Are you sure those are plastic? Plus Models products are usually resin.
Kevin Crosado

"Caroline Wheeler's birthday present was made from the skins of dead Jim Morrisons
That's why it smelt so bad"

Hauk

Quote from: Krusty on May 11, 2023, 02:00:35 AM
Quote from: Hauk on May 10, 2023, 07:35:27 AMAnd here is a source of plastic rivets:

I have absolutely no idea. But for rivets like this I dont think resin vs. plastic matter that much.
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Lawrence@NZFinescale

Quote from: Hauk on May 11, 2023, 10:46:59 PM
Quote from: Krusty on May 11, 2023, 02:00:35 AM

I have absolutely no idea. But for rivets like this I dont think resin vs. plastic matter that much.
Maybe although resin can be inclined to shatter depending on type and age.  If you do decide to go with resin/plastic I suggest getting them printed to your exact spec. You'll get exactly what you want and probably cheaper.
Cheers,

Lawrence in NZ
nzfinescale.com

Bernhard

Finally, here we go with the production of the front and rear towers.

Due to a lack of documents, I cannot reconstruct the inner structure of the towers exactly. Since it is not visible anyway, I build two stable frames out of 20 x 20 x 2 mm square tube (drawn in green), which are then covered with sheet metal. The main girder will be mounted on the head plates later.

Hulett 0099.JPG

The raw material is ready.

Hulett 0100.JPG

The individual parts are pre-machined and then soldered together.

Hulett 0101.JPG

Bernhard

Then the axle holes can be drilled for the mounting of the crossbars.

Hulett 0102.JPG

A test fit of the rear tower with the trucks shows that everything fits so far.
The mechanic in the foreground is in scale 1:35 instead of 1:32, but it shows the size relations impressively.

Hulett 0103.JPG

And here you can see the finished towers, with the head plates soldered on.

Hulett 0104.JPG

Bernhard

In the meantime, the CNC machine is running at full speed and producing the sheet metal parts for the cladding of the towers. The 0.3 mm thick brass sheets are glued to an MDF board with double-sided adhesive foil.

Hulett 0105.JPG

Bernhard

The parts are milled out with a special 3 mm sheet metal cutter.

Hulett 0106.JPG

Hulett 0107.JPG

Hulett 0108.JPG

Bernhard

The etcher was not idle either. He etched two plates for me with gussets, stair treads, floor plates with diamond patterns and other parts.

Hulett 0109.JPG

Hulett 0110.JPG

Bernhard

Next, I have to convert my new rivet punching machine so that I can also machine angle profiles. Then the first parts can be assembled.

I will report about the rivet punching machine soon in a separate thread.

Hulett 0111.JPG

Bernhard

Hauk

This is shaping up to become one of the legendary threads on this forum!

Looking forward to more updates.
Regards, Hauk
--