• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Hulett Ore Unloader in 1:32th

Started by Bernhard, February 08, 2023, 08:20:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Design-HSB

Bernhard, I really like the development, and I am happy to be able to follow the construction progress.
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

Bernhard

Thank you for your interest and the motivating comments!

In the meantime, I have made some progress. The front plates of the towers are too big for the rivet punching machine. I therefore have to solder in a few rivets as pins.

Hulett 0147.JPG
Hulett 0148.JPG

The rivets on most of the angle profiles are punched. However, I drill holes in some angles for the exact positioning of add-on parts.

Hulett 0149.JPG

Bernhard

The first angle profiles are fitted, ...

Hulett 0150.JPG

... then the first front panel can be test-fitted to the frame in its unfinished state. A few more angles as well as reinforcing and joining plates are still missing.

Hulett 0151.JPG

My dynamic colleague stood next to the tower to give you an impression of the proportions.

Bernhard

Mounting plates are soldered onto the rear panel, onto which the bearings of the drive shafts are later screwed.

Hulett 0152.JPG

I drill the core holes for the M1 threads on the CNC machine.

Hulett 0153.JPG

I cut the threads by hand on the conventional milling machine. I have a small collet chuck in which I can clamp the tap. The collet chuck has a cylindrical shank that I can hold in the drill chuck of the milling machine. I close the drill chuck so far that I can just turn the collet chuck and move it axially. Then, with a lot of feeling, I can insert the thread exactly vertically without breaking off the fine tap.

Hulett 0154.JPG

Bernhard

Once the front and rear panels have been prepared, they are glued to the frame of the front tower.

Hulett 0155.JPG

Fix well and then wait for a day.

Hulett 0156.JPG
Hulett 0157.JPG

You can already see the result.

Hulett 0158.JPG

Bernhard

Now two side plates have to be built. This requires a few angles ...

Hulett 0159.JPG

... and CNC-milled sheet metal.

Hulett 0160.JPG

The finished side plates are attached to the tower with pin rivets.

Hulett 0161.JPG

Bernhard

I also need two supports for the platform on the left side of the tower.

Hulett 0162.JPG
Hulett 0163.JPG
Hulett 0164.JPG

And this is the current status.

Hulett 0165.JPG

Now only about 200 more parts are missing for this foot, all of which still have to be made. So, here we go.

Bernhard

1-32

Hi Bernard.
Totally fascinating how all this is coming together.
cheers

finescalerr

Hauk

As I might have said before: A work of great beauty.

A big inspiration for getting serious with my own machining. A couple of practical questions: what type of brass do you use, and where do you buy your sheets of material? I am also very curious about your spindle and feed speeds.
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

Bernhard

Thanks Kim, Russ and Hauk.

Hauk, I use two types of brass:
  • Ms 58 (CuZn39Pb3) hard for flat and round material. The material is very easy to machine.
  • Ms 63 (CuZn37) semi-hard for sheet metal. The material is easy to cold form.
I purchase the material from a local dealer.
I am relatively careful with the cutting values when milling. Under no circumstances should you use the values recommended by tool manufacturers for industrial use. I run the spindle at a maximum of 10,000 revolutions. Otherwise, because it is only air-cooled, it heats up too quickly.
I normally work with 2-tooth cutters with a diameter of 3 or 4 mm at a feed rate of 50 mm/min.
You have to work your way up a bit from the bottom. The optimum cutting data certainly also depends on the stability of the machine.

Bernhard

Hauk

Quote from: Bernhard on November 24, 2023, 02:01:41 AMThanks Kim, Russ and Hauk.

Hauk, I use two types of brass:
  • Ms 58 (CuZn39Pb3) hard for flat and round material. The material is very easy to machine.
  • Ms 63 (CuZn37) semi-hard for sheet metal. The material is easy to cold form.
I purchase the material from a local dealer.
I am relatively careful with the cutting values when milling. Under no circumstances should you use the values recommended by tool manufacturers for industrial use. I run the spindle at a maximum of 10,000 revolutions. Otherwise, because it is only air-cooled, it heats up too quickly.
I normally work with 2-tooth cutters with a diameter of 3 or 4 mm at a feed rate of 50 mm/min.
You have to work your way up a bit from the bottom. The optimum cutting data certainly also depends on the stability of the machine.

Bernhard

Thanks a lot for the info!

I see that you too use very slow feeding, and it seems this is the key to success when milling metal on relatively light CNC-routers.

Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

nk

Wow wow wow even without those 200 parts
You may ask yourself: "Well, how did I get here?"

http://public.fotki.com/nkhandekar/