• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Hulett Ore Unloader in 1:32th

Started by Bernhard, February 08, 2023, 08:20:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barney

But what can I say !!! on the other hand "Speechless"
Tried flower arranging and now stamp collecting !!
Barney 
Never Let someone who has done nothing tell you how to do anything
Stuart McPherson

nk

Pfft...

That was my mind being blown.

Such amazing work. WOW.
You may ask yourself: "Well, how did I get here?"

http://public.fotki.com/nkhandekar/

Stuart

Very impressive Bernhard.  From the looks of things, you have the new year well in hand.  Each of your posts is like reading a great novel with each chapter providing additional insight and excitement.  Looking forward to the closing chapter!

Stuart

fspg2

Hello Bernhard,

I'm always pleased that you've made friends with the rivets - it's worth it, as we see again and again!
Frithjof

finescalerr

As usual, Frithjof is right. -- Russ

Bernhard

Thank you all for your encouraging comments.

QuoteBy the way, regarding the dicsussion to use rivets or not, I think this an excellent argument for the use of rivets

Hauk, it was clearly the right decision to reproduce the rivets. I'm glad that I was able to have the discussion here. However, it also takes a lot of time.

Bad news: I heard from a modeler in Cleveland, who is also interested in the Huletts, that the Port of Cleveland has decided to scrap the two remaining engines for good.
You can also read about it here:
https://www.news5cleveland.com/news/local-news/cleveland-metro/after-decades-long-effort-to-save-them-hulett-ore-unloaders-on-whiskey-island-to-be-sold-for-scrap
or here:
https://www.ideastream.org/community/2024-02-09/clevelands-historic-huletts-are-headed-for-the-scrap-heap-is-there-still-time-to-save-them

It's a real shame that this interesting piece of industrial history is simply disappearing without practically any trace.

Bernhard

Hauk

Quote from: Bernhard on February 17, 2024, 02:16:27 AMIt's a real shame that this interesting piece of industrial history is simply disappearing without practically any trace.

Bernhard

It is sad indeed that the unloaders wil not be preserved. But it makes your model even more valuable and interesting.
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

finescalerr

I could not agree more strongly with HÃ¥vard. -- Russ

Bill Gill

I caught a quick glimpse of a news story that NASA is planning to demolish a number of buildings connected with the early manned flightsat Cape Canaveral that previously had been preserved.

Bernhard

I'd like to show you a little update on my project today.

Because I was in such a good flow, I started on the rear tower straight away. To do this, I had to add a lot of angle profiles with punched rivets, ...

Hulett 0198.JPG

... which were then fitted to the side panels, among other things.

Hulett 0199.JPG
Hulett 0200.JPG

Then the first sheets could be fitted to the frame.

Hulett 0201.JPG

Bernhard

Then the Y-axis display on the rivet punching machine broke down. Probably Chinese junk. So, until I get a replacement, I can't stamp any rivets.

I have therefore built the missing railing for the platform at the front tower.

Hulett 0202.JPG
Hulett 0203.JPG
Hulett 0204.JPG

Bernhard

Two days later I received new etching sheets with parts for further platforms and ladders.

Hulett 0205.JPG
Hulett 0206.JPG

It's difficult to photograph such sheets because you always see reflections on the shiny surfaces.

Bernhard

I used the diamond plates to build the five platforms for the rear tower.

Hulett 0207.JPG
Hulett 0208.JPG
Hulett 0209.JPG
Hulett 0210.JPG

Bernhard

And several ladders were created from the etched side parts and 1 mm brass wire.

Hulett 0211.JPG
Hulett 0212.JPG
Hulett 0213.JPG
Hulett 0214.JPG

Bernhard

Bill Gill

It all is looking very good. Hope your rivet punching machine will be back in action soon.