• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Hulett Ore Unloader in 1:32th

Started by Bernhard, February 08, 2023, 08:20:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barney

Outstanding if that's the word or better still fantastic !!!
Barney
Never Let someone who has done nothing tell you how to do anything
Stuart McPherson

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Bill Gill

Like Russ said, It's terrific to see paint on the Hulett. The color and weathering look right. And the sign does too.

Peter_T1958

What a tremendous work! And I am getting fairly dizzy when I think by myself, what lies still ahead of you.
Yes, the aim is certainly a very, veryambitious one. But as you are very disciplined and also clearly focused on this one project...

Cheers, Peter
Switzerland_animated-flag.gif
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" -Leonardo Da Vinci-

https://industrial-heritage-in-scale.blogspot.ch/

Stuart

Bernhard

Thank you for your interest and your comments.

I already reported in an earlier post that the dismantled Huletts on Whiskey Island were finally scrapped this spring after more than 20 years. It's a real shame that no solution was found for the preservation of these interesting technical witnesses to the times.
Nevertheless, the scrapping does have a positive aspect: during the demolition work, interesting insights were gained that would hardly have been possible otherwise.

Before demolition, all the vegetation was removed, allowing a better view of the remains for the first time in over 20 years.

Hulett 0283.jpg

Hulett 0284.jpg

Hulett 0285.jpg

Hulett 0286.jpg

(Photos: droneohio.com)

Bernhard

I then came into contact with Tim Murphy via a Facebook post. That turned out to be a real stroke of luck. He was one of the few people granted permission to enter the site during the demolition work. He took many interesting photos during two visits. He was also able to dismantle various smaller components, which he intends to restore and give to local museums. He kindly shared the pictures with me, and I would like to show you some of them here.

Here are a few pictures of the trolly.

Hulett 0287.jpg

Hulett 0288.jpg

(Photos: Tim Murphy)

From the rear you can see that the rear part of the roof has been torn away and the traction motor is missing. Among other things, the sheaves from the lifting drive of the walking beam are also no longer present.

And this is what it looks like inside the trolly.

Hulett 0289.jpg

Hulett 0290.jpg

I always wondered what was stored in this room. As you can see now, a lot of electrical equipment was installed there. It also served as a checkroom and lounge for the operating crew.

Bernhard

And now look what I found a few days ago: a photo of the production of the trolly.

Hulett 0291.jpg

I was quite surprised because I've never seen pictures of the manufacture before. A very interesting find, although it's certainly not a trolly for Whiskey Island.

Bernhard

I've never seen the larry car like this before. In the old photos, it is always difficult to make out between the main girders. Unfortunately, it is not intact either. The rollers are hanging down and some are missing. The drive side on the left is damaged.
However, with the help of these photos and an original drawing, I was able to reconstruct how the scales worked. Until now, I had no information on this at all.

Hulett 0292.jpg

(Photo: Tim Murphy)

The access door to the driver's cab, seen from the water side.

Hulett 0293.jpg

The inside of the driver's cab has always been a blank spot, no information to be found.
Here you can now see the scales. This is apparently a decimal scale with sliding weights for measuring the payload.

Hulett 0294.jpg

Bernhard

Here are two nice pictures of the driver's workplace.

Hulett 0295.jpg

Hulett 0296.jpg

The driver was not sitting facing the direction of travel, but was looking out of one of the large side windows. From this position, however, he could not see the flaps of the larry car. To position the larry car over the railroad hoppers, he had to use the markings on the inside of the larry car track as a guide.

Hulett 0297.jpg

If you look closely, you can see numbers under the marking arrows (2, 3). I assume that these were the numbers of the railroad tracks.

The larry car driver must have been quite a busy man. He had to operate the disc hopper to take over the load. Then he had to weigh the load and enter the weight in a list. Then he had to drive to the right railroad track and place the load in the rail car. He had to make sure that the rail cars were not overloaded. For safety reasons, overloaded rail cars had to be uncoupled from the train. Then drive back and take on the new load. All this every minute. And it was a cardinal sin to leave the Hulett operator waiting at the bunker.

Bernhard

A few pictures of the shunt engines. One of the engines has been on display at the Lake Shore Railway Museum in North East for some time.

Hulett 0298.jpg

Hulett 0299.jpg

Hulett 0300.jpg

Bernhard

And finally, three more pictures of parts that Tim has rescued and, in some cases, already restored with great dedication.

Hulett 0301.jpg

Hulett 0302.jpg

Hulett 0303.jpg

I will share more pictures later when I describe the construction of the corresponding assemblys.

Bernhard

finescalerr

You found a treasury of fascinating and useful photos. -- Russ

fspg2

Hello Bernhard,

that's a great find - I'm delighted that you came across it! Congratulations :)
Frithjof

Krusty

What fascinating photos. Thanks for posting them.
Kevin Crosado

"Caroline Wheeler's birthday present was made from the skins of dead Jim Morrisons
That's why it smelt so bad"