• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Hulett Ore Unloader in 1:32th

Started by Bernhard, February 08, 2023, 08:20:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SandiaPaul

Wow great pictures...and sad. Especially as I saw these regularly when I was growing up. The pics will be really useful as you progress. Are you going to make the larry car?
Paul

Bernhard

QuoteAre you going to make the larry car?

Yes Paul, of course I'm going to build the larry car too. With the help of Tim's photos, I've finished designing it. But the build will have to wait until I have finished the main girders.

Bernhard

Stuart

It's always helpful to have as much information as possible to refer to, especially on a build as complex as the one you are undertaking. All the best to you as your project continues.

Stuart

Peter_T1958

Those are great photos of the wrecking site. They are priceless for the builder, others then you can scarcely guess what you (and only you) can make out in those photos.
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" -Leonardo Da Vinci-

https://industrial-heritage-in-scale.blogspot.ch/

Barney

Bernhard it just gets better - - but what is a "Larry Car "
Barney
Never Let someone who has done nothing tell you how to do anything
Stuart McPherson

Ray Dunakin

Quote from: Barney on October 22, 2024, 01:28:05 PMBernhard it just gets better - - but what is a "Larry Car "
Barney

I wondered that too, and found out from Google it's a "self-propelled car for carrying materials". I also found this very interesting webpage about larry cars used in steel mills:

http://industrialscenery.blogspot.com/2021/01/larry-cars-in-steel-mills.html

There is also a bit of info about the Hulett ore loaders and its larry cars.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Bernhard

Ray, yes that is a good explanation. Thanks for sharing. As a reminder, I'll show you the schematic of the whole machine with all the functions.

Hulett 0006.jpg

Hulett 0009.jpg

(Quelle: Historic American Engineering Record, National Park Service, delineated by Hardlines Design Company, 2000)

Bernhard

Hauk

It might have been adressed earlier in the thread, but why did they need separate narrow gauge tracks for the shunting engines? Couldnt they just use standard gauge shunters on the same tracks as the cars?

Not that I am complaining, it makes the project even more fascinating!
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

Bernhard

Hauk, I actually don't know that either. Maybe they wanted to save space and time. The distance between the towers is slightly smaller, and the travel distance for the larry car is slightly shorter.

Bernhard