• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Boxcar GG 31 of 'Plettenberger Kleinbahn'

Started by Hydrostat, June 20, 2023, 11:54:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Gill

Fantastic work. Very good idea for fabricating the turnbuckles.

Bernhard

Really excellent parts, especially the idea for making the turnbuckle.

Bernhard

1-32

Hi Volker.
As always great fabrication.
cheers Kim.

Barney

Never Let someone who has done nothing tell you how to do anything
Stuart McPherson

Lawton Maner

These turnbuckles are an excellent example of the adaptive conversion of one object into another. 

I remember 25 years ago I down graded the turnbuckles on an O Scale passenger car because the builder bragged about the threaded turnbuckles in the write-up but used right hand threads on each end.  If the builder had not pointed the error out in the write-up but allowed me to discover it on my own I would have ignored the error.

My go to for hard to find tooling is Victor Machinery:  https://www.victornet.com/  Small left-handed taps and dies aren't that expensive, and once in the kit encourage their use.  A happy user no connection.

Stuart

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Hydrostat

Bill, Kim, Barney, Stuart, Ray, thank you!

Quote from: Bernhard on July 11, 2023, 01:10:24 PMReally excellent parts, especially the idea for making the turnbuckle.
Bernhard

Bernhard, I really don't want to gain someone else's laurels: All milled sheet parts are made by Frithjof. I don't even have a mill. So much the more I'm happy with the selfmade turnbuckles - and I'd like to add a clip of making the rivets with a burr cup. I think it's crucial to use a small hand drill to have control of what the burr cup does.

Quote from: Lawton Maner on July 11, 2023, 05:43:14 PMThese turnbuckles are an excellent example of the adaptive conversion of one object into another. 

I remember 25 years ago I down graded the turnbuckles on an O Scale passenger car because the builder bragged about the threaded turnbuckles in the write-up but used right hand threads on each end.  If the builder had not pointed the error out in the write-up but allowed me to discover it on my own I would have ignored the error.

My go to for hard to find tooling is Victor Machinery:  https://www.victornet.com/  Small left-handed taps and dies aren't that expensive, and once in the kit encourage their use.  A happy user no connection.

Lawton, usually I'd agree about stocking tools, but in this case it didn't make sense for me since the prefabricated parts saved some work.

Added the slipways for the car body.

Socket for the brake system is brazed from three parts.

Pedestal frames are milled as the orher parts are, too.

The bogie frame has a riveted t-section. They serve as catch, If chain links of the bearing springs break.

Since I'd good experience with drilling the cotter pin bores I decides to habe all the bolts with cotter pins and washers. I modified the boring jig a bit to get 0,4 mm bores into 1,4 mm bolts. An interply (the square material) helps to have the bores at the required position. I prefer to shorten the bolts after drilling.

Using some cutting oil it works well enough to have some 50 brass bolts and some iron bolts as well drilled with one drill bit without twist-off.

To me it seems crucial to draw out the drill bit during drilling from time to time to support conveying chips. I know that it may be hard for professional metal workers to watch the video, but it is the best I'm able to achieve with my tools.

Washers are made from 0,2 mm brass sheet; I've shown the principle here (scroll down to the end of the post) before.

That's it - cotter pins are made from 0,3 mm brass wire, which I sanded down to roundabout 0,15 mm remaining:

Cheers,
Volker
I'll make it. If I have to fly the five feet like a birdie.
I'll fly it. I'll make it.

The comprehensive book about my work: "Vollendete Baukunst"

nk

That is just beautiful work Volker. The cotter pins really bring it to life.
You may ask yourself: "Well, how did I get here?"

http://public.fotki.com/nkhandekar/

Stuart

finescalerr

Modeling to that degree of detail and perfection should be illegal. Go stand in the corner! -- Russ

Barney

Excellent bit of miniature engineering
Barney
Never Let someone who has done nothing tell you how to do anything
Stuart McPherson

Bernhard

Excellent detailing, I am impressed.

Bernhard

Hydrostat

I was in doubt about the brake system; the milled slot from the previous design gave too little way for movement and so I decided to make a new construction following another car from the same manufacturer Both & Tilmann. This has a different kind of bogies, but the brake system might have been similar to the Plettenberg car. Howsoever it is prototypical adjusted now. This time the parts are handmade.

To achieve identic parts I make symmetric pieces from soldered stock material.

Quote from: finescalerr on July 19, 2023, 12:31:26 PMModeling to that degree of detail and perfection should be illegal. Go stand in the corner! -- Russ

Russ, please stop those accolades. This is rather on an average at finescalerr.

Cheers
Volker

I'll make it. If I have to fly the five feet like a birdie.
I'll fly it. I'll make it.

The comprehensive book about my work: "Vollendete Baukunst"

finescalerr

I must agree with you. Still, beautiful work. -- Russ