• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1:16 scale Aultman-Taylor Traction engine.

Started by Scratchman, July 24, 2024, 08:36:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scratchman

finescalerr

Are you missing a rivet at the inside upper left, where the radius meets the vertical? -- Russ

Barney

Great stuff with mind blowing rivets - what make are the rivets Im Sure I have read it somewhere  but can not find the article
Barney
Never Let someone who has done nothing tell you how to do anything
Stuart McPherson

Hauk

Quote from: finescalerr on October 23, 2024, 11:39:19 AMAre you missing a rivet at the inside upper left, where the radius meets the vertical? -- Russ

You're a cruel man, Russ. Go stand you know where!
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

Scratchman

Russ... a missing rivet is best to replace before painting, you can't add a rivet after painting without making a mess. Barney The small rivets on the water tanks are Grandt Line .043 diameter round rivets #154  ( Grandt Line castings are not available). Tichy Train Group has most  of Grandt Line casting and more. The conical head rivets on the boiler are .070 Tichy Train Group #8268. For the stay bolts I sanded off the round top of a .070  Ticth Train Group round rivets #8078.
Gordon Birrell

Peter_T1958

Hi Gordon
That's scratch building at its best. I am also impressed by your endurance. I don't know how you did the rivets and bolts ether or I forgot it, sorry!
But here an alternative to save costs (I did it some years ago on a First World War tank): 

Nuts.jpg

Some sort of knocked up pliers with tiny holes to hold the plastic rods. A slight touch with the flame of a lighter...that's all! Yes it looks rather crude but it works!
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" -Leonardo Da Vinci-

https://industrial-heritage-in-scale.blogspot.ch/

fspg2

@ Russ, I didn't know you were one of the rivet counters  :)
Frithjof

finescalerr

Bernhard

That is really impressive. And I also admire your perseverance.

Bernhard

Barney

Gordon thanks for the info on Rivets
Barney
Stuart McPherson

Barney

Russ you need a large bucket to stand in a large dose is required - Go to the corner now !!
Stuart McPherson

finescalerr

Good grief, I wasn't counting. Otherwise I'd have known Gordon installed only 728 rivets. -- ssuR