• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Yet another machine shop

Started by PuckHog, March 09, 2009, 06:20:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PuckHog

After some additional weathering this is the result to date.....Randy

marc_reusser

Randy,

A couple of questions out of curiosity:

Why the white/light-grey color for the boiler? Are you trying to give it a look like preserved/painted in "white lead".

Why enamel for the over/color coat? (still seems like it's giving you some problems).

What material/paint/thinner are you using for the weathering/wash? (I am guessing it uses an oil-based or terpentine thinner.)

How long are you waiting between the color coat, and applying the wash?

Marc

I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

PuckHog

Marc,   The color choice was just personal choice ( thinking early 1900's mfg'ers painted greys or blacks)......the following photo shows color better...enamel choice was so the washes later of acrylics would not penetrate....Did struggle with surfacer to conceal edges of foil..... 3-4 hrs for wait time .....Any advice is welcome!!  Thanks  Randyl   

marc_reusser

Randy,

Thanks for the info. I think the extreme close-up just threw me. I thought it was an oil based wash over the enal, and had somehow re-softened the base color and not flowed/washed as well as it could have.    This new/last photo better, as one can se how it ties/works all together.  The finish and coloring on the large vertical pipe is wonderful. I like the details/touches of discoloration around the clamps and elbow, and the interior of the pipe. beautiful attention to detail and weathiring patterns.

On the Boiler Hood/top....did you use the hairspray technique or is that salt also...seems a much finer pattern?

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

PuckHog

Marc,  Thank you for your comments and interest..have not not tried hairspray yet ,the hood was sponge painted..if I could pick your brain on that subject,  You were trying gum aribic as the resisit on the cart?  What did you think compared to straight hairspray?....Randy

Edit... Marc,   I reread a bunch of your stuff in Tips, Techs,,.....answered my questions and got lots of good ideas!! (shopping for new airbrush)  Thank you. Randy

PuckHog

Hi Folks,  Got some work done on the junked donkey engine.  It will go next to the machine shop when complete. 

Not wanting to waste a great CHB kit of the small engine, I started with a resin casting of the boiler avaiable from SWest and added some frame  and cylinder parts made up from styrene. The white metal flange pieces are from Western Scale....Randy

PuckHog

More....

PuckHog

More....

PuckHog

Here are a few shots ready to go.....Randy

PuckHog

Another...

PuckHog

more....

PuckHog

Last one.......Thanks,  Randy

finescalerr

Not only is the modeling excellent but the diorama makes a great planter! -- Russ

lenelg

Amazing work! Your machine shop brings back fond memories - my grandpa once owned a shop like this, and I spent many happy hours as a kid there (see http://web.telia.com/~u85435856/about_us/granpa.html ). Two details you need to add, to create the right atmosphere:

1) Sound: In addition to the obvious sound of machine tools biting into steel, the drive belts made a very special "flapping" sound
2) Smell: The floor was covered in a mixture of iron filings and old cutting oil, with the smell of iron and oil everywhere

/Lennart Elg, Sweden

LLOYD

Hello Randy,

REALLY A SUPERB WORK !!!
Sincerely !

Lloyd