• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Ludlow–Spencer Toy Company

Started by GreggW, March 27, 2009, 09:14:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GreggW

For some reason, the new South River Modelworks Spencer Paper Box Co. and the recent FOS Ludlow Building kits just seemed to belong together.  I'm not sure if it was the similar sized structures or what, but I knew that they were a set destined to be joined. And now they are.  Sit back and enjoy a tour of Jim Lucas and my latest creation, the Ludlow-Spencer Toy Company, a western in-town factory built on a sloped setting.  

Gregg

GreggW

John Ludlow owned a prosperous retail toy store, a business he wanted to grow.  It had a near perfect location in town, adjacent to Coopers Cafe and Martin's Barbershop. (The FOS Ludlow Building kit, with a toy store located in place of the vacuum repair and cigar store businesses.)

GreggW

John had a friend, Herman Spencer, who owned a wood and metal fabricating mill just across the river.  (The main mill from the SRM Spencer kit, with the basement removed as more fitting of a west coast structure.)

GreggW

Together, the retail merchant Ludlow and the manufacturer Spencer combined their diverse retail and manufacturing experience to form the Ludlow-Spencer Toy Company.

GreggW

They created and displayed a dozen new products, (bikes, wood educational toys and play toys) at the International Toy Fair in New York City, generating more orders than they could fill and guaranteeing the success of their newly formed enterprise.  The always-busy Ludlow toyshop became even busier, as people traveled miles to see the latest toys. (Many custom toy company ads and signs created and used.)

GreggW

The Spencer mill building was their base for manufacture and assembly of various toys.  Raw materials of wood, steel, textiles and machined parts, as well as toys awaiting shipment can be found on the docks.  (The mill dock was extended and additional backside windows and a company billboard were added.)

GreggW

The new toy company offices were located in the Ludlow Building, upstairs.  Space for future expansion was made into apartments.  (This building was painted a natural wood color, more fitting for this western setting.)

GreggW

The old mill office was sublet to Augies Smoke Shop, a place the workers frequently visit.

Ronald

GreggW

A pedestrian bridge was added to give the workers an easy access between the mill to the offices and store.  This bridge connected differing floors to compensate for the sloping terrain.

GreggW

Across the street sits Morrisons Market.  (This is the Tedeschi Market structure from the SRM Spencers kit, renamed.  The roof was modified to tar and gravel and the N.E. type tower was removed, to westernize the structure.  The side billboard was changed to match the new market name.)

GreggW

On the uphill side of the market sits Riskys Bar. (This is the Shuges Bar structure from the SRM Spencers kit, named more appropriately for a bar out west).

GreggW

These two businesses, coupled with the cafe, barbershop, toy and smoke shops make for a bustling commercial area and an enjoyable work location for the toy company employees.

GreggW

This build was another exercise in westernizing structures and creating a town scene on a slope where differing elevations could be used to better showcase the individual buildings.  Each of the South River Modelworks Spencers kit structures and the FOS Ludlow kit building were easily converted to fit my west coast theme.  This was also an exercise in modeling water and other details to better enhance the overall build.  Jim and I hope you like this Ludlow-Spencer Toy Company diorama as much as we do.

Gregg

TRAINS1941

Gregg

Very nice indeed.  Nice work on all the mini scenes you created.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin