• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

The Sands of Time (Ma.K. AFS Mk1) [Rusting]

Started by marc_reusser, March 31, 2009, 08:15:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marc_reusser

Nick,

i am still working on the Boatyard, but it is really slow going. Am currently working on the wooden hulled one. I may get them all built in time..but painted...is looking a bit unlikely at this point...luckily the paint work I am doing on this one is serving as a good test-bed/practice for parts of the boatyard.

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

marc_reusser

It's baaaack! :D

This time around I took a different approach to the painting. First a base/prime coat of Floquil (oil based) was applied (9-parts "Roof Brown", 1.5-parts "Engine Black", 1-part "Caboose Red"). Over this was applied a shading/highlighting with a 50/50 mix of  Panzer Aces #343"Shadows Flesh" & Model Color #136 "Leather". After a day of drying, Ground coarse salt was applied, then a fogging/highlight of straight  "Shadows Flesh"; some of the salt was then lightly blown or brushed off, and a fogging of Lifecolor "Rust- Light Shadow" applied.  All the acrylics were shot on the "dry" side, so as to give a slight surface texture. (the white flecks, stain lines, and white around the armpit is some salt residue that will be removed.)

Next comes hairspray, and Color Modulation.

Marc

M-Works

jacq01

Marc,

great, those different shades of rust...... finger licking :P :P............Glad it turned out ok.
    In Dortmund I'll look for these paints, as here they are not available/hard to get.

Jacq
put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

danpickard

Marc,
Interesting project, nice to watch your diversity.  V2.0 looks off to a good start.  I was reading up on the hairspray thread over on MIG, and think I am now starting to get my head around it a bit.  I have a gas mech that is still just primed, so I'm probably gonna give the hairspray a try on that inthe near future.  I also have a couple of old Gundam suits down in the cupboard somewhere, and hadn't thought much of a "post battle" scene.  Rust and decay sounds easier than painting them "nicely".  I've just finished a 2 year slog with our Dolly Varden layout, so I might even tinker with them for a bit of breathing space after the railway hangover settles.  I'll be interested to see the skeleton section when that happens as well.  Good stuff as usual.

Dan

PuckHog

Marc,  This Ma.k. stuff is really neat!!.....the Lifecolors are new to me,  how do they compare with Vallejo for the airbrush ?    Thanks,  Randy

chester

Terrific look Marc. Even though it's not staying the salt around the armpit looks like the remnants of an old gasket.

RoughboyModelworks

Excellent rust & texture Marc... looking good. Glad to see the "pink" is gone - was beginning to worry about you a little bit there  ;)

Paul

marc_reusser

Thanks Guys. I am pleasantly pleased with it.

Dan:  Will you be posting pics of the Dolly Varden layout?  Would be really interested. This was my first time using the salt technique. FWIW I posted this response to a query about it over on MIG...maybe it is of interest/use:

"This was my first time using this technique. Sorry I didn't take SBS photos, I was trying to cram it in before dinner time and before it got too dark to paint (I paint outside). I will take some pics as I do the VW. IMO one thing that can cause a problem is if the surface is too wet (so the salt starts to disolve rather than just stick), and if the paint is applied too wet or too heavy; too wet makes the salt disolve, and too thick makes it hard to remove or can cause a ridge (which might be a desired effect in some instances, but is definitely "scale dependent"). For the salt I used a prefilled/disposable salt grinder from a "Trader Joes" store, mixed with some Kosher salt. This gives you all sizes and shapes. To apply it I wet/dampened limited areas or surfaces with a soft flat brush and applied the salt as I went, trying not to accidentally re-wet areas where salt was already applied. To apply the salt I used a small PE scoop (It fits into a #11 Xacto handle, unfortunately I can't remember what PE tool set it came from...I bought it at the Jordi-Rubio shop..so It might be from them or maybe Tech-Star)....the scoop easily lets you pick up small and large grains and get a pretty well controlled application."

If you decide to build the Gundams please post the builds. This site/forum is focused only on MaK http://maschinenkrueger.com/forum/index.php but you might enjoy browsing about for ideas inspiration...or just for a change of scenery ;).

Randy: I have not shot the normal range of Life-Colors through the airbrush. The one I shot was part of one of theier weathering sets..so it had a different composition and consistency. I shot it un-diluted (as this specific one was already thinned)...and it shot on really well and smooth. It was hot and dry here yesterday, so it did seem to suffer from the same issue as the Vallejo's.....drying in the nozzel after short periods of use....which required a quick tip removal and wipe with a soft rag (I could probably have used a retarder had I not been lazy). It dried very quickly on the surface, and had a beautiful dead-flat finish. The pigment seems to be very fine like the Vallejo, so it went on nice and smooth and evenly. It was a bit toughr to clean the airbrush than the vallejo...it seemed to dry harder (though this could be just this specific composition)...In the end it to 90% Iso alcohol and some q-tip effort to det it all out.  A note re. my experience with the regular life color paints: I have found that over a period of time they do tend to thicken or dry out. I try to check mine every other month or so, and add/mix in a little bit of distilled water where needed.

Paul: You should have seen how flaming it was before I added the wash over it ...bright Fuschia ;) ;D

Jacq: Which paints are not available?...The Floquil and the Life Color?  The floquil oil based will probably be difficult or impossible for you to find in Europe, due to the Environmental laws. But the Life-Color should be relatively easy to find from a good armor modeling supplier/shop. And the Vallejos should be no problem whatsoever.  What are you currently using to paint your models?

Marc

M-Works

danpickard

Hi Marc,
Yes, I will start a Dolly Varden thread here in due course, just got a couple of magazine commitments as far as holding back a few good shots until published.  With the Australian NGC on this weekend, the layout will finally be set up as one piece, and I will be putting aside a bit of time to do a photoshoot for the next article.  Got to drive the layout about 1000km in the back of a very big trailer, so hopefully it is still presentable upon arrival.

Thanks for the further salt tips as well.  First really read about that on the Boulder Valley site, and would like to try it with some varied size grains (from rock salt to fine table salts, should offer a good spectrum of chip sizes).

The Mak link was interesting, few ideas in there.  I'll have to pull out the boxes and see how long they sit on my bench before I actually restart them...

Dan

jacq01

Marc,

QuoteWhat are you currently using to paint your models?

presently I am using Humbrol and Revell enamals with nafta as thinner.  Only paintbrush hand work.  Primer, color and nafta based washes.  All sawmill machinery is done that way with very little powder. 

I am too lazy to get the compressor out and set up the airbrush at the moment, i have only small assy's to do.
  Spraying outside is no alternative here,  too much wind or change  for rain.

In Dortmund I will stock up on acrylics,   I chucked out the present stock as it was not usable aymore.
  Vallejo is high on the list together with Master Colours.  Life-Colours is an alternative.
  Floquil I had many years ago ( together with Polly-S ) but they thickened too quick and it could only be thinned with Diosol(?)

put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

LeOn3

Jacq,

I have some adresses here in Holland who sells the vallejo paint. And have the same price as humbrol or revell.
Will send you a pm with the information.

Leon

TRAINS1941

Darth Vader returning to "TATTOINE" has discovered that the armour for his Storm Troopers is not rust proof!

After closer inspection he has found this to be only a model!! :o

Most Excellent job CDR Reusser.  Very life like indeed.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

marc_reusser

M-Works

finescalerr

Lord preserve us! Brother Marc is off the deep end. 1:700 scale destroyers. Robots clawing dirt. And no doubt coming soon ... the men in the white coats! I have but one word of advice (before it is too late!): P-R-O-Z-A-C.

ssuR