• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

The Sands of Time (Ma.K. AFS Mk1) [Rusting]

Started by marc_reusser, March 31, 2009, 08:15:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marc_reusser

Today the rusting started.

This was done using a combination of Windsor Newton artists oils, MIG rust pigments, and some Windsor Newton Guache & water colors. (The underside of the arm received no rusting, as it will not be seen in the final setting)

I also played around with some "watercolor mapping" for lack of a better word.....by using water colors I was able to apply some interesting transparent mapping to some of the chips.....its almost more like "filter mapping"...it's pretty subtle (because I used fairly thinned color) and doesn't really show in the images...but is visible on the model.

Here are 4 "quickie" 1/48 barrels  (and one 1/35) that were done using the same approach. Were they to be used in a scene, they would get some dust, and maybe some oil stains as well.

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

TRAINS1941

Here are 4 "quickie" 1/48 barrels  (and one 1/35) that were done using the same approach. Were they to be used in a scene, they would get some dust, and maybe some oil stains as well.

Marc
[/quote]

Hell I thought those were his knuckles!!!!

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

Chuck Doan

Beautiful! What colors of oils and how long does it take for them to dry?
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Frederic Testard

Frederic Testard

finescalerr

MikeC

Excellent job on the barrels, Marc. They remind me of those 'reference' photos of the burn barrel I posted on RR-L a few years back.

marc_reusser

Thanks Mike....I still have those photos printed out and stuck in my refernce binder.

Chuck: I used the Windsor Newton artists oils....I'll have to get back to you on the two colors. (Think it was Burnt Umber, annd Burnt Sienna....but let me make sure).  In order to try and reduce the "sheen" from the oils, I used the trick of placing the paint dabs on some carboard for a bit first...then picking up small amounts from there with a brush and diluting them with turpentine in an artists pallette for application....it helped a bit....thought still gave me some sheen...which was OK on the paint areas...but needed a bot of touch-up with pigments on the exposed rust areas. (mainly the larger areas where you could tell the difference/edge...on the smaller isolated chips it was not noticeable).  A way around the sheen on the runs is to use Humbrol flat enamels...I tried some of this on one of the barrels......it takes more effort and work to get the streaking that I wanted (and still couldn't get it the same as with the artists oils...maybe with more practice)...but it was dead flat.

The one part that I am really having some fun with and getting good results is with the MIG rust pigments and the MIG "Thinner for Washes".....really works as a good combination for rust patterns and pin washes. I had for a long time done/tried this with Bragdons....but due to their adhesive, found that it just didn't flow/blend/disperse as nicely as the MIG ones do.

Marc

M-Works

Frederic Testard

Sorry for the probably dumb question, Marc, but what does MIG stand for? (Jet related answers are not allowed...)
Frederic Testard

PuckHog

Marc,   I love the way you always push the envelope on your finishes !!!

How are you getting that wonderful "sheen" on the dark rust spots ? 

Can't wait till next installment........Randy

marc_reusser

Thanks Guys.

Frederic:  MIG Produtions is the ompany owned by Mig Jimenez (renowned armor modeler)...they make high end pigments, oil paints, washes, figures, models, and parts. here is a link to their website:
http://www.migproductions.com/.....they are located in Spain, and you can order direct from them, or I am sure there are numerous vendors in France that carry his products.

Randy: The sheen on the dark rust areas is residue from the application of the artists oils. (though some areas of it could also be from some  burnishing of the paint during chipping.)

Marc

M-Works

Frederic Testard

Frederic Testard

marc_reusser

No problem.

Glad to see you participating here.

If you have not before been there, you may wan't to have a look around the MIG Forum as well......lots of exceptional work being done there...lot's to learn from.

http://www.migproductionsforums.com/phpBB3/index.php?sid=4fd3da56e7c8fc5b1b64a15a81a10017

Marc

M-Works

Frederic Testard

Marc, thanks for the hint. This forum is the weathering-lovers paradise. It just makes more evident that 24 hour long days is a nonsense. 72 would be barely enough...
Frederic Testard

RoughboyModelworks

Outstanding rust work Marc... isn't there something a little twisted about complimenting someone on their corrosion  ;) 

Anyway, looks great. The rubber couplings between the arm sections are also very convincing. Looking forward to seeing this one completed.

Paul

marc_reusser

"The Return of the Shelf Queen!"...oh the horror.

Doing a quick rush job to finish this one up.....Now I know what Bexley feels like! ;D

M-Works