• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

The Sands of Time (Ma.K. AFS Mk1) [Rusting]

Started by marc_reusser, March 31, 2009, 08:15:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marc_reusser

...and the current side.
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Bexley

Very nice. (Love the tattered cloth. No I have to go back and re-read this thread to see if you mentioned how you did it.) [EDIT: You didn't. Please explain!]

Funny thing is, when I saw the skull in Bits and Pieces, I vaguely remembered this diorama.

Now, you just need to pull an all nighter, nap from 7am to around 10-11am, and work again until 2am, praying that the internet or power don't go out. You get to take a short break at 1am, though, when you remember your camera battery isn't charged, with an hour left to post...

There's a reason I end every submission's description with, "And now, whiskey."
CounterClockwise

Bexley Andrajack

Mr Potato Head

I have been waiting for the return of this shelf queen! I have seen it for so long without the skull, I am still not quite sure what to think? I knew it was coming,........... I think it should be slumped more, I can only assume that when you die you slump, my reasoning is my wife yells at me all the time to stop slumping, so with this poor fellow, I would assume the same. Don't stop I want to see this one finished!
MPH
I only play a couch Potato on TV
Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho

BKLN

I love the sleeve liner on the ripped off arm. Very cool!

Now, if you could just get back to the "Watery Grave"...   ;)

Ray Dunakin

You know, I think the guy in that suit still had flesh on his bones when you started this project!   ;)

Nice work, glad to see you back on it.

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

marc_reusser

Thanks guys,

Bex;
I wish I could pull out the whiskey now! ;D  I honestly dont exactly recall how I did the sleeve...it was so long ago. I did it as a test piece. I wanted to try and represent the torn sleve of his coveralls/uniform that he wore in the suit. The raeson for the bend and angle, is that it was planned to wrap over a sheleton arm reaching for help....but it was too round...would need to sak and drape more....so now it looks more like part of the arm joint material from the suit....but since time is of the essence it is what it is. ;D  Tothe best of my recollection I made it out of white tissue paper...I think its called "china paper" or some such thing (something I picked up at a model airplene shop.)...It was cut into a rectangle that would be about the correct diameter tube as a sleeve. I then draped it over a corresponding dia piece of styrene rod, and pushed it together along the rod...crumpling it. Then too it off, and tore the edhges with broad round nosed tweezers. This was then brushed with Liquitex Matte Medium, draped back over the rod...slightly re-crumpled am\nd draped to shape...then let dry. when dry it was removed from the rod...carefully as it does stick to it....re-draped...reformed, and coated with the matte medium one more time....when dry, I removed it and coated the inside...at that point it was perfectly stiff...albeit fragile. [BTW. found the mfr bag from the head; it's an Andrea Miniatures 90mm)

Gil; Yes, he probably would sag...but he's got a stick up his ....err...toothpick as a neck. ;D The skull wis not planned to be exposed, but rather only seen through the (hopefully shattered) visor of the helmet.

Christian;  "Watery Grave" is still right here staring at me every time I open the cabinet. ;D

Ray; That was awesome! ;D ;D ;D  Almost shot coffee out my nose just now!

M-Works

mad gerald

Quote from: Ray Dunakin on April 22, 2012, 09:47:45 PM
You know, I think the guy in that suit still had flesh on his bones when you started this project!   ;)
... ROTFL (biting the carpet) ...

Quote from: BKLN on April 22, 2012, 07:07:27 AM
...Now, if you could just get back to the "Watery Grave"...   ;)
... one of my favourites too, would like to see it's resurrection ...

Quote from: marc_reusser on April 22, 2012, 09:51:27 PM
Christian;  "Watery Grave" is still right here staring at me every time I open the cabinet. ;D
... would you mind reanimating it i. e. as "Watery Grave" ... redux ... or ... reloaded ... ?  8)

JESTER

The skull is awesome! Can't wait to see how you weather it!

-

marc_reusser

Gerald;

Would love to re-animate the WG build; unfortunately I have a previous commitment to Gordon, and what appear to be a series of required "timed" projects for the forseeable future. (And we all know how good I am at modeling dead-lines ;D )

Finished most of the rusting and surface finishes (except for final dust and dirt...and maybe a couple of small streaks), and have now seated it in the base and begun filling in around the model.

The conundrum now is the ground surface. At one point I was thinking pale reddish beige..sort of Martian soil, or African soil color.....but that color does not seem to compliment the model, and doesn't give me the desolate and forbidding feel I was hoping for; so I am now thinking a very light grey lunar surface look.

M-Works

Ray Dunakin

The weathering on this piece is amazing! The colors and textures are spot on, even the cracked and oxidized "rubber" bits.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Mr Potato Head

What about Sand?
When in Rome?
the build is called the sands of time,.................
just asking
MPH
We have pink sand in Idaho
Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho

marc_reusser

Thanks ray...really feel iffy about the whole thing, but maybe I'm just to close to it. The rubber bits were a "keep my fingers crossed" type of thing...way overworked, and just hoping they would be pasable.

Attached is the sorta-kinda-feel, I wanted for the scene...

M-Works

finescalerr

You don't want it half buried in lush grass beneath a majestic oak with kittens and puppies scampering over it? -- Russ

Gordon Ferguson

Nice Marc, especially like the effects on the left hand shoulder and back.

A conundrum, while I would love to see my little project brought to a conclusion I want to see Watery Grave finished as well .............. time to toss a coin ;)

Surface finish, how about some dry cracked mud ......... like the first picture here

http://www.freenaturepictures.com/desert-rocks-pictures.php

you may also get some ideas from the rest of the pictures.
Gordon

marc_reusser

Thanks Gordon,

Quote from: gfadvance on April 26, 2012, 01:07:48 AM
Surface finish, how about some dry cracked mud ......... like the first picture here
http://www.freenaturepictures.com/desert-rocks-pictures.php
you may also get some ideas from the rest of the pictures.

Dude!...I've got till about Sunday to finish this (and the text)! I see you are enjoying turning the tables! ;D I have actually been to those locations...got one of the biggest scares of my life at "Devils racetrack" (the mud flat with the moving rocks). Thankfully your suggestion came too late,...already half done with a simple sandy surface with some rocks. What's bugging me is the lack of interest and reference scale in the scene. I need to find some good quality N or Z scale Beduins and a camel. Would even settle for astronauts in that scale. Probably wont have them for this time frame...but can always add them after.

M

M

M-Works