• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

The Sands of Time (Ma.K. AFS Mk1) [Rusting]

Started by marc_reusser, March 31, 2009, 08:15:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gordon Ferguson

With time being of the essence why not go with the old standby, a barrel or a drum half buried as well.......... Seem to remember you did some rust experiments on 1/35 & 1/48 drums.

Did you ever purchase the shells/ starfishes etc etch that were produced to go with the resin submarine ....... There might be something there you could use for sense of scale
Gordon

marc_reusser

If I do a barrel or other item I feel it will change the feel of vastness/lonelyness,.....and I did try it with 1/48 and 1/87, but feel it really needs to be much smaller than that..I want to create this sense of awe and foreboding.

M
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

mad gerald

Quote from: marc_reusser on April 26, 2012, 01:31:06 AM
... What's bugging me is the lack of interest and reference scale in the scene. I need to find some good quality N or Z scale Beduins and a camel. Would even settle for astronauts in that scale. Probably wont have them for this time frame...but can always add them after.
... N or Z scale beduins and camels ... you must be Joe King ...  ;) ... in case you're not, I'd omit the skull ... arousing the impression, an iron giant (similar to "The Iron Man" by Ted Hughes) came down to earth (or any other planet's surface) and kinda "shipwrecked" and kicked the bucket ...  ::)

lab-dad

What about a lunar probe?
With one eye "O"
-mj

Design-HSB

Hi Marc,

I think I should come to you once the painting workshop, just wonderful.

How about this with a Mars rover?
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

Malachi Constant

No, no, no ... a miniature Charlton Heston pounding the sand and saying "damn you all to hell!"  ;)  -- Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

Andi Little

You're going to have to excuse me for jumping in here! - and I may have got the wrong end of the stick?? - it's happened before.

I think I can see where you're coming from with the - desolation, futility, fruitlessness, wastage and barrenness? What you have as a visual narrative works at an exceptional level ................. I think what you might be after reinforcing - is an actual sense of time? An inordinate infinite length of time, stretching out both before and behind the scene???

I've been mulling this over since the thread first reappeared and the simplest [and easiest] way I can think of that might indicate this passage is a wind!! - I know!
But perhaps a little gentle scouring in front of buried objects and rocks/pebbles - conversely a fine residue of sand build=up in the lee of said rocks pebbles and even portions of the suit where it makes significant contact. I can see an excuse for some quite poetic patterns in the sand providing quite a poignant commentary; a sort of silent song for a forgotten warrior?

I may of over thought this....................?
KBO..................... Andi.

Gordon Ferguson

Well don't know if Marc will use the idea Andi ................... But I am certainly going to steal the concept, brilliant!!

And Dallas , I was thinking along similar lines, had a look thro' some of the quirky pencil sharpeners as you suggested looking for something appropriate
Gordon

marc_reusser

Andi,  Thanks. Seems we had the same idea....though I couldnt decide where the lee side was...son the arm I did it on both sides...figuring  the wind would blow against the front side, and over the top..leaving some on both (artistic license?  ;D).

The sand is actually sifted through a .0025 screen...yet still ends up loooking huge, and in the pics the grains are really varying in color (despite numerous acrylic washes)...not so when viewed by the eye. (sant that small/fine was a real PIA to glue down. (I tried non-sanded tile grout, and that didn't work.).

M-Works

Bexley

I did an egyptian ruins themed base once, and had the same issue. I ended up sculpting the "sand" from epoxy putty, since I reasoned that at that scale (28mm figure, so ~1/56) if you could actually see a grain of sand, it was too big.
CounterClockwise

Bexley Andrajack

marc_reusser

I had considered a sim idea to yours, using lightweight spackling paste to do the sand...but two issues raised their ugly head during testing; The model is unsealed, so that when I tried to sweep the "sand" against the model (the wind-blown look)...the finish would not hold up where I would have to remove any excess, or tried to shape the form of the spackle...and...when I did the un-sanded grout test, it was perfectly fine grain/texture and applied like the sand I used, but when dry it was too smooth, and lacked any character....it felt/looked to me more like concrete. Luckily the reason for doing the build is because of/for the rust technique. ;D

M-Works

shropshire lad

Well , if it was mine I would have a faded and torn copy of one of Russ's comics flapping in the wind . Or maybe a copy of Russ's favourite mag ... Penthouse !

finescalerr

Why not simply run ol' Russ himself up a flagpole and let the wind whip some shreds into him? -- Russ

shropshire lad

Quote from: finescalerr on April 27, 2012, 12:46:19 AM
Why not simply run ol' Russ himself up a flagpole and let the wind whip some shreds into him? -- Russ

No , because he'd probably enjoy it and that would not be the object !

finescalerr