• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

The Dolly Varden Mines Railway in On30

Started by danpickard, April 23, 2009, 04:05:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lab-dad

cant wait for the sequel!
FYI I often use a monopod when in crowded situations.
-Marty

jmartin

I have not been on this site in quite some time but what a day to come back.  Awesome layout Dan, and a great for for display.  You guys over there sure know how to do up you display layouts.  Almost looks like you guys recycled the benchwork from Red Stag  :D

John

*edit* did you ever post a track plan for this railroad anywhere. I'd like to see it.
John Martin
Fort Mill, SC
http://public.fotki.com/johnmartin

danpickard

Hi John,
Welcome back...
Its fair to say that we were both very inspired by Red Stag, especially as far as the impact the large  and confronting viewing face of it had.  Recycle the old benchwork...no way!!!  The old Red Stag was all timber and weighed a ton, couple of guys struggling to move each module.  In the Red Stag video, when they show some of the set up routine, the sweat pourng off those blokes is a bit of a give away!  The DVMR modules being all aluminium can be lifted by 1 person (bit awkward, but still easy to move from one side of the garage to the other). 

The Red Stag team, now known as the Musk Rats (with their new layout, Muskrat Ramble), changed their methods a bit with their new effort, but used a welded steel frame, so still considerably heavier than the aluminium version.

Track plan...what track plan?  Never really had one to start with, the layout wasn't complicated enough to need one.  The Youtube video link pretty much shows the plan.  Long run from wharf to under the mine (just a basic 2 track staging are inside the tunnel.  A single passing siding in the middle, but actually wired as 2 separate lines.  Most of the points have the blades pinned in place so they cant be moved.  No switching on this thing, just auto runs...easy, no fuss, turn on/turn off...no stress exhibiting.

Dan

mobilgas

Very nice'ly done... ;D great display layout ::)         Craig      Mt, Clemens Mich

Ken Hamilton

Just like being there in person!  Great video.
Thanks for posting the link.
Ken Hamilton
www.wildharemodels.com
http://public.fotki.com/khamilton/models/

MrBrownstone

Hey dan,

found this photo... reminded my of this layout (the name)
;D

Mike