• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

The Corliss project

Started by lab-dad, May 18, 2009, 09:55:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lab-dad

You guys are right.
It's been a crappy couple of months, sorry.
I have started on the new molds from stripwood.

Thanks for telling me what I needed to hear.
-Marty

Chuck Doan

That's what happens when you get good.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

TRAINS1941

Quote from: lab-dad on September 20, 2009, 03:14:45 PM
You guys are right.
It's been a crappy couple of months, sorry.
I have started on the new molds from stripwood.

Thanks for telling me what I needed to hear.
-Marty

Thank God your back, I was starting to worry about you.  The only thing you need to hear is get going and finish this beauty.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

shropshire lad

Marty ,

Is there a reason why you made the concrete stepped ?  Although it is perfectly possible to cast concrete in the real World like that , it does make quite alot of extra work for no apparent advantage . Please tell as we need to know .

Good to see you back producing , even if you do scrap it .

So you've given up on doing it in brick ?

Nick

lab-dad

Thanks Nick,
It is stepped so I have a place to rest the floor beams (in addition to some posts).
Yes first attempt is sCRAPed.
Second attempt is drying/curing - (boy did it get hot!)
I thought of carving "bricks" but most of the examples I could find used a poured concrete.
The new molds are done with scale 2x8's as forms.
Hopefully I can take a pic this evening.
-Marty

lab-dad

better?.................

there are some air holes(not too bad for the size)-its 3 3/4 square and 2 1/4" thick, may be I can disguise them?.....

Any suggestions for the basic coloring (I usually use Silverwood) and then some grease/oil stains.
I'm also thinking some rust where it would likely occur being many parts are cast iron.

-Marty

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

jacq01

Yes................

Jacq
put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

Hauk

Quote from: lab-dad on September 22, 2009, 02:07:38 PM

there are some air holes(not too bad for the size)-its 3 3/4 square and 2 1/4" thick, may be I can disguise them?.....

I would not worry about the air holes at all. Very often you see cavities larger than those in prototype concrete work.
Here in Norway the builders (and pissed off) architects call them "Steinreir" wich means "Rock nest" or "pebble nest".

They occur when you do not vibrate the poured concrete properly, the aggregate (usualy gravel) clumps together and makes pockets of air/gravel. I guess Marc know the proper terms in english!
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

marc_reusser

Marty I agree with Havard...no problem with the holes....you could even accentuate/detail them a bit....I do this on my castings by stippling with the Micro-Mark wire pencil.....try it on a test piece first though.

Here we (at least I) just call it a "shitty pour" and unacceptable  ;)....I actually rarely run across these in this day and age......maybe because the contractors I work with know what an ass I can be in the field when stuff like that happens...and it usually ends up costing them......so they try real hard not to have them.   ;D ;D

M
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

shropshire lad

Marc ,

Yes , I can imagine you could be a pain in the ass to work for !

Nick The Builder

shropshire lad

Marty ,

Significantly better results . I bet you feel happier now ,

Nick

lab-dad

I thought some might find my mold design of interest.
Basically 1/4" poplar with 1/4"x 1/8" planks glued to it.
Does require a little calculating before any cutting though.
By having backing sections (in this case cheap hardboard) the mold stays square.
I tape it all up and use clamps to keep it that way.

And the foundation;

I just realized I need to make the tall one for the large pillow-block too. >:(
-Marty

marc_reusser

Nice mold and casting. It's coming along splendidly.

M
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

jacq01

This looks a lot better.
  Take in account that cast iron is corroding far less than steel. A bit surface rust........Don't overdo it as these machines were normally placed in well build enginehouses, not much change of condense etc.

Jacq
put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.