• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Brick Wall (using Don Railton's approach)

Started by marc_reusser, May 29, 2009, 03:44:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malachi Constant

Hi Ray --

Those were some Scenic Express retaining walls (purportedly HO) that I picked up at a train show -- kept the sku sticker in case I need more:
http://www.sceneryexpress.com/prodinfo.asp?number=FL4151

These are some kind of pressure-cast foam -- and there were some waves (distortions) in some of the stone courses that I had to cut out.  Also, the walls weren't quite tall enough for 1/35, so I cut the pieces for this station from two walls and used the "cap stones" from one to make an ornamental stone band at belt level.  Used an electric scroll saw to cut the walls, and that worked extremely well at making clean cuts in the foam.
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

Don Railton

Dallas - Good job on the corners.  It gets to be a challenge when you have carved brick and you need a seamless transition.  I have slopped joint compound on the edges, allowed it to dry and then started carving.

Don

Ken Hamilton

Quote from: Don Railton on May 25, 2010, 06:03:37 AM
It gets to be a challenge when you have carved brick and you need a seamless transition. 
Don
Nice job, Dallas....and you're not kidding, Don.  Just to add my 2-cents here, the outcropping of the partially
demolished wall on the right side of this picture was done by cutting individual mat board bricks (1/87th) and
attaching them at a right angle to the ghost wall in the background (...this is the best picture I have of that section):

(PS: This unfinished diorama has been on hold since I stuck my hand through the foreground power lines and poles)
Ken Hamilton
www.wildharemodels.com
http://public.fotki.com/khamilton/models/

shropshire lad

Ken ,

How painful was the electric shock ? Did you need to get treatment for it ?

Nick

eTraxx

Quote from: shropshire lad on May 28, 2010, 10:06:48 AM
Ken ,

How painful was the electric shock ? Did you need to get treatment for it ?

Nick
Of course .. the electro shock .. COULD ... have BEEN the treatment ..
Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"

Don Railton

Ken - I did a 1/48 building in carved Styrofoam brick but the bricks came out a bit too large for the scale.  I doubt I will ever attempt 1/87.  Your brick looks very convincing in that scale.  It reminds me of Emmanuel Nouaillier's brick buildings. 

I have respect for the kit manufactures who have the skill and patience to carve brick in 1/87.  One of those guys being a member of this group, Dave (DaKra).

Don