• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Brick Wall (using Don Railton's approach)

Started by marc_reusser, May 29, 2009, 03:44:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marc_reusser

Nick,

Which one is the "Rat Trap Bond"?.....am not familiar with that term.

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

marc_reusser

In a desperate serch to vindicate myself re. Nicks comment about my messily grouted wall  ;) ;D, I just had to take a pic of this wall on my ride today. This wall probably dates from around 1925-35.

What I actually found an interesting detail for future reference.....the dark weathering streaks in the second photo....note that the first and second images were taken only about 21' (7 meters) apart on the same wall....no streaking in the first, but there in the second.......why?......the streaks are due to the decomposing leaves (over years) that have been dropped on top of the wall at that location (probably also dirt/grime washed/dripped off the tree and onto the wall and washed down).

Note how the area below the 'watertable'/ledge is also darker...again from the decomposing vegetation, the accumulated grime from the upper wall section, and the splash from rain and irrigation on the adjacent ground surface.

Marc

M-Works

marc_reusser

Here a couple more reference pics.

The first shows some of the brick degradation in the water table area.

The second is the sign at the gate...note that there are holes and cracks from a previous sign.

Marc

M-Works

marc_reusser

Lastly I edited the sign down to remove "Pasadena" in case somebody wants to use the sign for a model.

M-Works

jacq01

great stuff,  love the very different effects of nature on such a small area.

QuoteLastly I edited the sign down to remove "Pasadena" in case somebody wants to use the sign for a model.

I will not infringe the council's rights when using this sign??  ::) ::)    3529 is only valid for Pasadena ?  ??? ???

Jacq
put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

shropshire lad

Quote from: marc_reusser on June 09, 2009, 04:20:09 PM
Nick,

Which one is the "Rat Trap Bond"?.....am not familiar with that term.

Marc

Marc ,

What I call "Rat Trap Bond" is the same or similar to the "Ideal All-Rolok Walls" on the third page .

This was sort of known as a "poor mans" brick bond as it used about a third less bricks in its construction and was therefore used in buildings where keeping costs down was important . It is actually an early version of a cavity wall because there are voids within the wall . This , ironically , probably meant that the houses kept warmer than an equivalent sized solid brick building because the air in the cavity helped slow down heat loss . I know of two houses that were built like this . I will try and get some photos , maybe next week .
  I have used this bond on a couple of occasions when I have built retaining walls . They are more decorative than structural as they are backed up by concrete blocks .They work best when the bricks have a roughish texture on the side that is visible .
   The wall in the photo is part of my front wall . The dark bricks are old paving bricks and the wall is curved .
  This is one of my favourite bonds ( how sad can you get , having favourite bonds) because it is not often used and if the right bricks are used can look very effective .

Betcha wish you hadn't asked now ,

Nick

marc_reusser

Jacq:
I am sure the city won't mind. ;)  Yes the ordinance is/was for Pasadena only....but what the ordinance is about is unknown to me. (Must be something regarding trespassing in city property ;) ;D).......a search through the Pasadena Minicipal Codes did not turn up an ordinance by that number......probably is one almost as old as the wall, and has since "fallen off the books".

I thought it was a neat sign, because here you typically see these types of signs in black & white, or red & white,...so the blue was different.

Nick:
Thanks for the clarification. We have had to use a similar construct (cavity wall) so that we could fill the core with reinforcing bar and cement. (Seismic requirements here in shakey California).  I like your wall.....wish there was more of it......I do however note that you did not use any 'king' or 'queen' closures at the corner on the right.  

Marc

M-Works

shropshire lad

Marc,

Have a look at the drawings that you posted . No King , Queen or even JOKER closers on those walls either , just two headers next to each other. The wall I posted a photo of runs into another wall that is laid differently and also what will eventually be a gate post . The bricks were laid so that the headers were in the centre of the bricks above and below , and the end bricks were just the size of the gap that was left .
  There is quite a bit more of the two walls in this bond , but much is covered by vegetation . I'll have a go at taking some more photos tomorrow .

Nick

shropshire lad

Marc ,

Here is a photo showing "the bigger picture" of my front wall .

One day I'll finish it ,

Nick

marc_reusser

Lovely.

I notice you have the closures on the house ;)

Marc

M-Works

jacq01

put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

shropshire lad

Quote from: marc_reusser on June 11, 2009, 02:30:01 PM
Lovely.

I notice you have the closures on the house ;)

Marc

It's not the house . It's my garage/workshop/playroom/sanctuary.
  Different brick bond ... different use of bricks . Closers are used on English bond but not on Rat Trap .

Nick

Mr Potato Head

Marc
I got my samples of PBLT precision board while I was in Salt Lake. They gave me a 3 1/2" x 5" sample of every weight, and then they told me the cost!@#$. They said I could get any thinkness but it would be hard to ship in thiner sizes. I am going to use some of my samples for foundations and columns. I am still looking for something other than blue foam. I am planning on making a hot wire table to cut blue foam into different thickness, I have the wire and the electrical source all i need is some time to build it. I will post a picture when done. I will also post the walls when they are done, I have two cut, and two to go.
Gil Flores
Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho

finescalerr

Yo, Gil! Glad you could finally make it to the site. It's about time. -- Russ

Mr Potato Head

Yo Unc!
I have been quietly monitoring the site and, was to busy and to lazy to log in! But I do really love this site; I have learned a ton just from reading and observing all the techniques, and great modelers. Thanks for being a great host! 
Gil Flores
Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho