• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1/2"-scale Lumber Buggy

Started by Ken Hamilton, May 29, 2009, 07:47:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NORCALLOGGER

Hi Ken,
As I said before your model of the Straddle Carrier is superb, beautiful and very realistic.

What is really outstanding about this thread is the vast amount of modeling "how to information" that you have posted so that people like me can benifit from your experience.

QuoteTo all you guys who know more about lumber operations than I do:  Would that arrangement
(bringing wood to the stacker with a Lumber Buggy) be logistically accurate for a lumber mill?

I don't claim to know a vast amount about the timber/lumber industry but I think you would be fine with that.  If you look back to page five of this post and the picture of the Cobb-Mitchell operation you will see the carrier is right there with the stackers. 

Don't forget the stickers, that is what the carriers actually picked up not the lumber. The stickers were heavy duty and used over and over again.

Thanks for the film clip link, a real trip down memory lane. I can't say for positive but I think at least part of that was filmed at the Casper Lumber Company on the Mendocino Coast.

One last item, there is a stacker sitting near a Tee Pee burner up the road in Adin, CA if memory serves it is very similar to the picture you posted.

I have enjoyed your project.
Thanks for posting it.
Rick Marty

Ken Hamilton

Quote from: NORCALLOGGER on September 10, 2009, 05:46:53 PMIf you look back to page five of this post and the picture of the Cobb-Mitchell operation you will see the carrier is right there with the stackers. 
it.
You know, I was so busy looking at the carrier in that picture I never even noticed the stacker.
Thanks, Ricky.  Glad you've enjoyed the project so far. 
Ken Hamilton
www.wildharemodels.com
http://public.fotki.com/khamilton/models/

Ken Hamilton

The Lumber Buggy is so close to being finished I was going to wait until it
was totally completed before posted any more photos - but, the lumber load
turned out so cool I just had to show you guys....

I had tried pine but didn't care for the grain or color. A piece of some sort of hardwood
found in the garage turned into this on the table saw...

Still lots of little things to finish up, but this is almost in the bag.
Thanks for looking.
Ken Hamilton
www.wildharemodels.com

TRAINS1941

Ken

Thanks for the pictures finished or not its a thing of beauty.  What an outstanding job you have done on this.  Glad to have you as member of this forum.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

Chuck Doan

The perfect touch! That really fills it out. Most excellent Ken!
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

finescalerr

Lest they become redundant I reserve my superlatives for photos of the completed model. -- Russ

marc_reusser

I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Ken Hamilton

Done.....
(Except for maybe dulling the tires a little and adding some dirt).
It doesn't look much diifferent from the last update, but the drive chains
are in place and some final details have been completed.

No antlers, but the boys at the Mill managed to come up with a bowling trophy.....

More views to come.  Thanks for all the encouragement during this project.
Ken Hamilton
www.wildharemodels.com

Ray Dunakin

Awesome! I love the bowling trophy hood ornament! And the clipboard!
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Scratchman

Ken,  You have done a fantastic job on both models. I am glad you went with the Serv-O-Link chain and sprockets.The chain  scales out to around 4 inches in  1:24 scale so it may be a little oversize but still very feasible It will look good on my 1:16 scale model when I get around to building it. What did you do with the Mack Truck the tires came off of? when you get the stacker finished you will need to built a tall diorama to set them both on. I have also enjoyed your step-by-step on this thread.   

Gordon Birrell

http://www.flickr.com/photos/77318580@N00/

finescalerr

It'll do, Ken. -- Russ

(P.S.: Save all those construction photos for the article!)

jacq01

This looks better than the best in show in Colorado.  Very very well done.
  Up to the stacker..........

Jacq
put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

Ken Hamilton

Gordon:
Here's where the Mack went....

Thanks very much for the tip on installed that chain.  It saved a lot of aggrevation.  While the chain IS a tad big, it looks better than anything else out there - and I sure wasn't going to scratchbuild it.

Uncle Russ:  I'll be getting in touch with you shortly.  Thanks for your interest in the project.

Jacq:  Thanks very much. How was the convention??

....now I need to get started cutting wood for the Lumber Yard diorama....
Ken Hamilton
www.wildharemodels.com

jacq01

Ken,

QuoteJacq:  Thanks very much. How was the convention??
I wasn't there, a bit far from Holland......googling for some results to see if it was better than last year, I was flabbergast that an exact copy of the Twin Mills from Brett Gallant was elected. They could have selected the original years ago. A good example of wrongly choosing selective compression.

Jacq

put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.