• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1/2"-scale Lumber Buggy

Started by Ken Hamilton, May 29, 2009, 07:47:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marc_reusser

Beautiful. I like the color(s).

Between you, Gordon, Sean, and Jacq, the threads here have absolutely wonderful styrene scratchwork to see and learn from. (Chuck doesn't count/isn't included, as he's a freak of nature)

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Chuck Doan

Marc has been talkin to my ex again ;D  (you had to see that coming)

KEn, looking good!
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Ken Hamilton

Since the last post, I added a filter to the hydraulic oil line and got the tank in place,
then installed the four cylinders that lift the lumber rack under the buggy.  The fittings
on all the lines are "Detail Master" model car parts.....

Also mounted the hydraulic control box beside the transmission......

But the MOST fun part was plumbing the hydraulics under the deck...

It's "sort of" prototypical, with a good deal of artistic license in the design. 
Here's a close-up of one of the rams....

...more to come....
Ken Hamilton
www.wildharemodels.com
http://public.fotki.com/khamilton/models/

jacq01

very gooooood.................... You leave the oil tank as it is ?

Jacq
put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

Ken Hamilton

Quote from: jacq01 on August 24, 2009, 09:00:12 AM
You leave the oil tank as it is ?
Jacq
...It's been refinished since the first rusty overdose, Jacq (see Pg. 5 of this thread).

Have you got any other ideas or thoughts on it?  I'm always open to suggestions.
Ken Hamilton
www.wildharemodels.com

chester

Ho hum.... very good as usual. Sorry, you pushed me to the excitement limit Ken.
The hydraulics details are perfect. A few leaks?

Chuck Doan

WOW! What did you use for the hoses?
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Ken Hamilton

"Detail Master" (a model car aftermarket company) hose.  It comes in several diameters. 
The fittings are DM, too.  It still needs to be weathered a little and, Chester, there WILL be leaks....
Ken Hamilton
www.wildharemodels.com

MrBrownstone

alraight now your hanging around chuck too much...  ;D

between your engine, hydraulic hoses and oil tanks and chucks light bulbs, fixtures and vent pipe clamp/fastener.

I would love to buy both you guys a nice dinner... and just ask a ton of questions... heh but then your food would get cold... :P

You guys are just awsome craftsmen...

thanks for the great knowlledge that you both share with all of us others.

a true fan to both your workings

Mike

jacq01

Ken,

hard to say what it is that disturbs my impression.
  It is most probably the finish of the complete vehicle, suggesting hard work, against the rusted/neglected character of the hydraulic tank.
  Firstly a tank for such purpose is kept reasonably clean to prevent dirt getting into the system.
  Secondly it looks out of place with its corroded texture against the rest. Hydraulic oil also works like a preservative and will prevent rust built up.

It could be a replacement tank, but than it has to clean at least around the filling opening.

The rest is coming along very wel, some leaking points where oil and dust will be built up and a dulling of the hoses to show the enviromental influence, maybe one new to show a repaired hose.............
   A pity it is double the size I need.  :( :(

Jacq
put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

Ken Hamilton

Jacq:

Thanks for the comments.  Some well-placed grease and oil stains & deposits are planned
later on when most everything is in place.

As I look at the pictures above, the side of the hydrualic tank is in more of a shadow than
the rest of the Buggy, which alters it's appearance somewhat.  In "real life", the tank isn't
as dark as it looks in the photo.  That's certainly not an excuse, though, and I WILL a take
a long, hard look at the tank as the project progresses.  As a worst case it can be given a
fresh coat of paint in-place and I can add that little maintenance feature to the model's story line!
Ken Hamilton
www.wildharemodels.com

TRAINS1941

Ken

Just an outstanding model.  Workmanship that truly can be appreciated by all. 

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

marc_reusser

Ken,

This is really a wonderful SBS and a great model....every new post/step is just great to read and learn from.

Marc

I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

james_coldicott

Hi Ken,

fantastic work! Rusted through yellow paint has long been a favorite. Meant to post some reference pics before now but got diverted along the way. I'm guessing by the quality of your work you have a stack of reference pics already but for those that don't these may be of interest... all of different equipment in varying degrees of decay but I think sum up the effect you are going for to a greater or lesser degree. Just a quick selection of the thousands I've taken over the years ;)...

james_coldicott

...and another