• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

A Rock Shop for the In-ko-pah Railroad

Started by Ray Dunakin, July 01, 2009, 11:02:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ray Dunakin

I just finished building and installing a new building for the town of Dos Manos, on my In-ko-pah Railroad. It's a rock and mineral shop, housed in an old, false-front wood building. It has a detailed interior, complete with working lights and a lighted display cabinet. All the rock specimens are real stone.

Here are a few pics:

The door is a modified Grandt Line product. I added the window and an Ozarks Miniatures door knob. Everything else is scratch-built:

The interior details really show up well at night. The hanging lamps were made from fancy "pewter" buttons and a small bead:

I also finished wiring up the lights in the two-story house:

You can see a few more pics on my site:
http://www.raydunakin.com/Site/IRR_Dos_Manos.html

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

lab-dad

Very nice!
Would never guess garden RR from the pics.
-Marty

danpickard

Thats great Ray, and like Marty indicated, I have to keep reminding myself that this is on an outdoor railroad.  The details going into a model in the outdoor setting like this one are none too often done.  Definately a bit more than a track through the hedges.  Excellent stuff.

Dan

finescalerr

Here's something unusual: The close ups look better than the overall shot. That speaks well for your skill. -- Russ

jacq01

I'll only noticed it to be a model by the missing mortar between the bricks under the window.
   very very nice.

Jacq
put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

Ray Dunakin

Thanks! BTW, the "bricks" under the window are meant to represent a rusted sheet of novelty siding. I'm still working on getting the rust to look right.

When I get more of the buildings in place I'll be able to work on detailing the surrounding scenery, add a road, etc.

BTW, I didn't notice until after I'd posted the pics, that the loco's headlamp is ajar, or the cobwebs on the pilot. Doh!

Ray Dunakin's World

marc_reusser

Neat structure, and nicely built. The night shots of the interior look very real.

M
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

MrBrownstone

hello Ray,

That is some beautiful work...

the interior is spectacular, very realistic  :o

Mike

Frederic Testard

The general scene is quite nice, but I have a preference for the beautiful night shots of the inside of the building. Very realistic.
Frederic Testard

TRAINS1941

Really a nice structure!!  Night lighting great!!  Like Marty said hard to believe that its a Garden RR.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

phill

WOW   your whole railroad is really good ,like the rockwork  this must have taken some time to get this far.I have the space in my yard but I dont think the time money comitment to build something like your doing, good job. Plus I dont think I would ever have imagined modeling mountains tunnels and tressles in such a large scale, I would probably have come up with something rather flat and drab looking in comparison. Actually what your doing must be closer to building the real thing, my ho scale mountain is mostly made of polystyrene ,easy to lift. Is that how you were injured? lifting those big rocks.   although I would have planted miniature pines growing allover  ;) ,but thats not your theme,its mine.   I can just picture a big 'ol watertank in that setting, thats gonna look cool I think.

awsome stuff  :)  Ill keep my eye on your progress
thanks for looking

Ray Dunakin

Thanks Phill! I messed up my back early on in the project, trying to dig out the nearly-sandstone hillside with a pick. I kept ignoring the growing pain in my lower back until I started getting muscle spasms. Couldn't do anything for a couple weeks, and had to be very careful for a long time afterwards.

Ray Dunakin's World

John McGuyer

I too really like that shot in the window at night. Not your normal picture and it really brings out the exceptional detailing.

John