• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1/32 Deutz-(ish) Gas Mech (Using Bmann Davenport)

Started by marc_reusser, July 01, 2009, 01:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RoughboyModelworks

Marc:

I'm with Franck on this, leave the cab open. Anything else will end up looking like a caricature I think. Besides, to quote Sir Arthur Heywood, "A stout mackintosh is cheaper and far better for the driver." Good photos Franck, thanks for posting.

Paul

RoughboyModelworks

Quote from: jacq01 on September 17, 2009, 07:36:55 AM

QuoteNo sure about that second one though... maybe Marc could do one of those pulled by a donkey

I'll remove that Diema photo when Marc put his machine on wheels  ;D ;D ;D

btw Now Russ is in Colorado, I can show, without troubling him, some antlers, big ones  http://homepage.ntlworld.com/nigel.ford2/_wp_generated/wp61797f3c_0f.jpg

Jacq

Good one Jacq  :o. Fortunately topics on this forum tend toward the sublime. With that antler photo we've now captured the ridiculous  ;)

Paul

Mr Potato Head

How are you going to hide that huge transmission cover with an open cab? Otherwise It looks great. I want to build one! The cast weights came out fantastic, when i tried mine they looked whimpy, way to go, I cant wait to try this method! Cast weights for everyone! I just rememberd I have a Duetz catalog, I will scan it and send it to you
Gil Flores
Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho

marc_reusser

Gil,

I am going to leave the transmission casting, and do some modifications and cast-iron texture to it...I reduced it as much as I could without exposing the space for the worm gear....or without creating a LOT of extra work for me.  I will actually also have to have a decent sized bulge/incursion behind the firewall, in order to hide the rest of the motor & DCC board. This would be less visible/noticeable/offensive in a closed cab version.....will have to see how it plays out with an open cab.

Was too hot to ride today, so I spent some time at the bench, building the rear pilot/frame and coupler set-up.

I wanted to mimmick the European buffer style link & pin couplers, yet have them fit the existing Bachmann Kadee box. In order to do this I modified a set of Foothill Model Works L&P couplers, by drlling out the existing pin hole to .045", and adding a piece of arced .020" styrene sheet to the face.

The pins I used are from PSC and come in brass and plastic. They are well suited/sized for 1/35 or 1/32 scale (and though oversized for 1/48, they could be used in 1/48 for all those whiners that complain about small and plastic pins). The pins are .280" long overall, with a .040" shaft. The pin near the buffer face will be replace in the end with a custom formed pin and chain assembly to macth those I have seen on an Indonesian sugar cane operation.

This is then completed end sill/frame assembly using the original Bmann coupler pocket, and the modified FMW coupler. Note that the Bmann coupler pocket has been drilled through top to bottom with a .045" dia hole, to also accept the coupler pins.

Next...the front sill/frame piece.

M
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

lab-dad

marc_reusser

Of course I can... ;)

The cars/loco are connected to echother by a pin-chain-pin set-up...one pin into the hole behind the face plate on one car...and the other pin into the hole behind the face plate on the other car....the chain connecting the pins then holds the cars together...pretty simple set-up.....sorry I don't have the pic on hand at the moment showing two linked cars...but I think you get the idea.

M

M-Works

Chuck Doan

I hadn't seen that type of coupling before. Neat!
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

danpickard

Marc,
I'm thinking the buffer plate on that coupler sits too high, and thats what had them confused.  I myself was thinking that maybe a hole was yet to be milled out in the middle of the plate.  In the reference pic you just posted, it looks like the link sits across the top of the buffer plate.  Your pin appears hidden behind the plate, and no easy "flat plane" for the link to run across.  Maybe?

Dan

marc_reusser

Dan,

I think you are correct...I was debating on cutting a notch/depression into the top for the chain to pass through.

I will likely end up lowering/shaving the top a slight bit...and mabe radiusing the bottom a bit more....but FWIW the pin behind the buffer plat is not the one I will be using at that loc. I need to find the pic, but the one I was after had a larger triangular loop and the whole assembly sat up a bit higher from the coupler shaft/top.

Marc

M-Works

jacq01

In the link werkbahn.de are plenty of photo's showing an elongated openings in the top of buffers to pass the chain.

http://www.merte.de/bilder/schoema_2240.jpg

Jacq
put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

Gordon Ferguson

Marc,

I know nothing about the technical side of railways but I do like those couplings .... and even more with the cut out for the pin and chain, you always manage to add something a bit different with your work.

The photo you posted is interesting can you let me know some more details of where you got it
Gordon

TRAINS1941

Marc

Good choice on the couplers.  Different yes but really goes great with build.  But then again you always are looking for the different.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

jacq01

These puffers are also made with a recess on the top to clear the chain coupling. this is normally a 3 or 4 link chain with a long shackle and or triangular shackle.

Marc, here a link to a build Deutz model from Ecore. Yuo should be able to camouflage the gear bulge as gearbox. See some photo's of the model.

http://www.feldbahn24.de/content/fahrzeuge/omz117.htm

Jacq
put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

Franck Tavernier

Hi Marc,

Nice job! I agree with Jacq, these puffers are often made with a recess on the top for the chain coupling...

Franck