• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1/32 Deutz-(ish) Gas Mech (Using Bmann Davenport)

Started by marc_reusser, July 01, 2009, 01:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

danpickard

Franck,
Interesting where a loco will turn up...
"Just park it in the back yard near the clothes line"...must have one of them 4x4 wheel sets underneath ;D

Dan

marc_reusser

Thanks for all the info pics and comments...mich appreciated.

the slotted coupler is cool...had not seen that one before...Will have to keep it in mind for a future build.

Franck...the notch like you show is the option I was considering.

Not the image below...it is of the cane car..or sim.... that was shown in my image (Scanned from the O&K catalog).....though unfortunately cropped....note the coupler...and how the face plate does come above the coupler top....note that the "pin" they use has a hook shaped top, that also has a loop where the chain is fastened.....this is kind of what I had in mind for my set-up. The one problem...and why I may go Francks image direction.....is that the pin hole in the FMW coupler is located a bit too close to the back of the face plate...so the hook type pin likely won't fit quite right. 

Gordon...I do not recall where I found that image...it was one of several hundered from Java Sugar cane operations that I have on my Hard Disk.....I believe it was clipped from a german forum that was all about Cane trains and operations in that region of the world.  Sorry I can't be of more help.

M
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

jacq01

Try goolge with " Stefan Matthaus "  and/or  indonesion sugar-cane railways. for the sugar cane car.

jacq
put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

marc_reusser

A wee bit more work....it's now getting into the nit-picky parts

The top image shows the front pilot/plate, with the crank support bracket. (I kind of liked this front plate and support detail on one of the prototype images I found.)  Also note as per our discussion that the coupler face has now been notched.

Sorry for the wierd blue hue to the photos....for some reason my camera is wierding out on me today  :-\

M

M-Works

marc_reusser

Sorry..forgot to add the photo of the front plate that I took the detail from...and yes I will be adding the bolt heads.

M

M-Works

marc_reusser

I also am starting to work on the cab interior. I decided to use/modify the original Bmann back face of the bonnet, because it already was shaped and fitted around the transmission housing...just made things a lot faster/easier (plus the orig. plastic is nice and ridgid). The reason for this extending inside the cab, is because this is the original location of the bonnet, and as such the motor/drive. When I moved the bonnet and front cab wall forward, I now needed to somehow cover the small section of exposed drive/motor that occurred.

The cab wall is just a temp. piece of bent .010 styrene, so that I could build to the required dim. The eventual cab walls be be heat/vaccum formed

M

M-Works

RoughboyModelworks

finescalerr

Be sure to finish this model, Marc. It's pretty decent.

Blue tint to your photos? Check your camera's white balance. Make sure it isn't set for incandescent because, if it is, then sunlight will look blue.

Russ

lab-dad

Good progress! thanks for the inspiration!

Might be kinda cool to leave one of the bolts out in the front pilot/plate,
wonder where they all went on the prototype?.....
Some nice rust stains running down?
-Marty

marc_reusser

Thanks guys.

Russ: Trust me...I went through all the settings ;D....at one point everything was green! I finally took out the memory card, and reformatted the thing....seems to have helped for some odd reason.

Marty: those bolt holes are empty on all the locos....I believe they were there so that things could be attached/bolted to the pilot.  On some shortopen cab versions, the rear wall has exterior braces that extend down over the rear pilot, and are bolted into those holes.

Franck:  I need a bit of input and clarification.....looking through all the photos I have, I noticed that some models/locos have what appears to be an air cleaner at the top front of the bonnet while others don't. I also noticed that full cab versions tend to have a stack that comes out the top of the hood, runs back to the cab wall, and then up the face of the cab......but I can't find any exhaust stacks on the short cab versions....where was the exhaust for these routed???...under the frame?  I really like your version that you posted here earlier, no cleaner, no stack, and would like to follow that line/design.....just would like to know/get an idea how the mechanics of the intake and exhaust worked on those. Thanks.

M

M-Works

lab-dad

Would be a cool place to put an eye bolt into and then you could drape some chain! <big grin>  ;D ;D

Seriously though it would be an interesting point to have something there (other than the back uprights)or in addition to.

-Marty

Franck Tavernier

Quote from: marc_reusser on October 03, 2009, 01:25:54 PM
Franck:  I need a bit of input and clarification.....looking through all the photos I have, I noticed that some models/locos have what appears to be an air cleaner at the top front of the bonnet while others don't.

Yes, you are right. Deutz OME 117; OMZ117 have an air filter at the top of their bonnet! I think because of the lack of room under the bonnet, don't forget that these locos were very small...On the other side, the Deutz OMZ 122; bigger, had also an air filter at the top of the bonnet! I think too, that it was because of the lack of room, his engine was bigger too! But I saw OMZ 122 without external air filter...

Quote from: marc_reusser on October 03, 2009, 01:25:54 PMI also noticed that full cab versions tend to have a stack that comes out the top of the hood, runs back to the cab wall, and then up the face of the cab......

I think, than you speak about the sand box...On the OME 117 and OMZ  122, sand boxes were at the top of the bonnet, just in front of the cab wall..On the OMZ 117 the sand box was inside the cab, on the cab wall (like my model)...Once again, I think that it was for the lack of room under the bonnet or in the cab, for these differents types...

Quote from: marc_reusser on October 03, 2009, 01:25:54 PMbut I can't find any exhaust stacks on the short cab versions....where was the exhaust for these routed???...under the frame?  I really like your version that you posted here earlier, no cleaner, no stack, and would like to follow that line/design.....just would like to know/get an idea how the mechanics of the intake and exhaust worked on those. Thanks.

The exhaust pipe was under or inside the frame. On the OME 117 the exhaust is under the deck of the frame...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NWU0B8sVUQ&feature=related

Franck

jacq01

An appetizer Deutz loco's in natural srroundings. I had lost this reference untill Alan Rees posted it again'

http://www.drehscheibe-foren.de/foren/read.php?17,4411551,4411842#msg-4411842

Jacq
put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

finescalerr

What a wonderful (and picturesque) little tram! -- Russ