• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Madera Sugar Pine Lumber Company # 1 Old Betsy

Started by Scratchman, July 12, 2009, 07:36:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marc_reusser

Simply beautiful work.

Unrelated...but maybe of interest for you for a future subject/build of unique locos,...I came across the images below in my files.

M
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

marc_reusser

Here is another...this I believe is a Lidgerwood Locomotive...I have an image of this loco type of loco in an old late 1890's catalog if interested.

M

M-Works

Scratchman

Thanks Marc for the great images. The third one down Is one strange looking unit. The forth one looks like it could be a sister to the  Bear Harbor lumber company # 1  Built by Marshutz & Cantrell. Is Lidgerwood locomotives a west coast company?

Gordon Birrell

http://www.flickr.com/photos/77318580@N00/

marc_reusser

Gordon,

Lidgerwood was a company out of New York, The were not locomotive builders, but rather boiler and hoisting and conveying machinery builders. they were a major player/mfr.....like AH&D, Clyde, Willamette,....they built all sort sof equipment for construction, quarries, mining, logging, grading, excavating etc., and for some reason they decided to build a small locomotive...but...the locomotive is shown in only one of their catalogs...the one prior to and following it, no longer show/list the locomotive...so I assume it was not a big seller.  I'll dig out the catalog, and scan the page.

M

M-Works

Chuck Doan

Some interesting contraptions! The Lidgerwood loco is sweet. The disconnect in front of it looks like it has a sprung bunk. Very unusual.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

marc_reusser

Chuck, great catch on those sprung bunks...I never even noticed. DOH!  That is a really weird set-up...also the first time I have ever seen that.

MR

M-Works

RoughboyModelworks

Quote from: marc_reusser on November 23, 2009, 01:06:39 PM
Chuck, great catch on those sprung bunks...I never even noticed. DOH!  That is a really weird set-up...also the first time I have ever seen that.
MR
Agreed... that is unusual. And it appears that the axles are fixed, no suspension. Leads me to wonder how this worked... ???

Paul

marc_reusser

A lot of the eary wooden disconnects were unsprung (fixed axles in roller bearing type journals)......examples in California that come immediately to mind are Shasta Mill Co, Round Mountain LCo., LaMoine LCo.,  Loma Prieta Lumber Co. & Molino Timber Co used O&K type steel frames under their flats (that had fixed beraings) as 4 wheel trucks......I know there are more...but that would require me putting some thought into the matter.  ;D

MR

M-Works

mobilgas

That Lingerwood Loco is neat.......wish Bachmann would put out a loco like that ;D in On3..........I wish :o     Craig

marc_reusser

FWIW...here are some pics of other unsprung disconnects I had on hand.

MR

M-Works

marc_reusser

I was going through my HD to see if I already had a scan of the catalog page...looks like I don't so will have to scan it....but I did come across some other stuff that made me think of you.

I thought the top heisler image was just incredible....it's just about the size of your usual locos.

MR

M-Works

marc_reusser

Two more of a Calif. loco.

MR

M-Works

finescalerr

Got a higher res crop of the disconnects in the GB_2 jpeg? -- They look nice and simple, appear to have unsprung pillow-block type journals (as have been discussed on another thread), and may be typical enough for a lot of modeling applications. -- Russ

marc_reusser

Russ,

Unfortunately tha is all I got on that one.  If the images or not water-marked w/ my name, they tend to be from the web, a forum, or sent to me by someone.......in neither case can I usually remember from where/whom.

If you are thinking of this kind of car, I would stronly suggest the Round Mountain cars..a nice california prototype.....which I think Rick Marty here maybe can help you with....they are actually pretty cool...if I recall they had a brake platform extension with a lever ratchet brake on every other car.  I have been wanting to build a set for years....but was too lazy to deal with the betchet and brake lever detail parts.....but mayvbe now with some of the laser cutting and PE tecnology it might be worth a go...especially in 1/35 or 1/32.   If I can get some decent images of them, I can throw together a 3D CAD model with exploded parts view for you.

MR

M-Works

NORCALLOGGER

Hi Marc,

The Champion mill was at Lyonsville, east of Red Bluff and Sierra Lumber was one of the for-runners of Diamond Match, as I'm sure you know.  I believe that stuff at lyonsville was all meter gauge but I don't recognize that English looking loco that you posted pictures of, anything additional on it?

Thanks for all the cool pictures.
Rick Marty