• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1/2" Scale project still in progress (somehow)

Started by Chuck Doan, July 20, 2009, 08:55:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marc_reusser

Woah!  Stunning, unexpected, and very different. Flawlessly executed...loooks just like the real thing. Tell us more.

If you are changing your setting/locale to the foothills of the Sierras in CA, I think this is a perfect match......if going for the deep south, I would go with the concrete.

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Franck Tavernier

It's not really a model!. Chuck is pulling our legs. The concrete is full size. He actually builds over scale garage business to try and convice us it...

Wonderful!  :D :D :D ;)

Franck

Ray Dunakin

I think it looks great, but of course I've always been a sucker for stone.

Those prototype pics are cool too.

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Chuck Doan

Thanks! My O scale store was a Deep South item. I have always envisioned this in the California foothills, hence the Groveland name (near Sonora). So rocks or concrete will work. Rocks suggest a more rural theme to me, so I might go that way. The busyness will calm down I think when it gets bedded into the dirt, and the step and pumps go in.

Ray, I have always dug that store. If you look for Sage Ca on Google earth (or maps?) you will find a couple of more contemporary pics. I have found though that the store is now gone.

I am doing the front step and will document the process. when i did this I didnt know if it would come out, so I didnt bother with photos.

Heres one more scanned shot:
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4037/4245002632_c8b6cb6984_b.jpg

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

David King

Wow Chuck!  Your stone and concrete work is unbeleivable!

David
"It's almost written down as a formula, that when a man begins to think that he has at last found his method, he had better begin a most searching examination of himself to see wether some part of his brain has gone to sleep." - Henry Ford

http://www.dsao.fotki.com/

RoughboyModelworks

You've done it again Chuck... looks fantastic. Marc is right, it does have something of a Sierra feel to it now, amazing how much the character changes with addition of the stone work. Really looking forward to seeing how you did this...

Paul

finescalerr

This morning, when I looked at your latest attempt, my impression was that it would sit perfectly in the landscape if it had some tufts of typical northern California green grass growing at the base. Then you post the flickr photo showing even more grass than I had imagined. So I think some green vegetation will be key to making the stonework and cement look at home.

In all the models you have built so far, foliage has been scant and, generally, dried out. So I am looking forward to seeing how you approach greenery in a less arrid climate. Go for it! I want to see how you make Woodland Scenics pale by comparison.

Russ

shropshire lad

Chuck ,

A packet of pigmy grass seed is in the post , because , for you , nothing but the real thing will do . Forget your bits of string and macrame for phoney grass , only grass looks like grass .

Nick

marc_reusser

Chuck,

As I need to be doing a window in a bit, I was wondering how are you going about making the dirty glass panes???

MR
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Chuck Doan

Thanks David and Paul!

Nick, is that like Chia Pet grass?

Russ, my high school art teacher said I was afraid of color. I thought this wall would dispel that notion and now you want green grass? I will have to do some learning on what all works. I need to review Nicks latest pics or just send this over there for some landscaping.

Marc, I started with Dullcoat on the back and then Alcohol vapors to fog (isoprpyl, not Guiness). Then I removed most of that mess except around the edges with a cosmetic sponge and a toothpick. Then Bragdon powders, browns and tan, dufted on with a soft brush tip and then breathe on it like warming your hands. Worked back and forth until happy. The trick is not to muss it in subsequent handling.

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

Ken Hamilton

(Hey, Marc.....Sounds easy on paper, doesn't it?)

Love those little green paint drips on the glass.

Ken Hamilton
www.wildharemodels.com
http://public.fotki.com/khamilton/models/

chester

Just so this doesn't sound like your typical "atta boy" response Chuck, I'll say that your stone and concrete work is entirely acceptable.

(I'm actually floored by it, great work)

lab-dad

Chuck,
where'd you get the stones?
Just fragments off the larger ones?
-Marty

Chuck Doan

But it IS easy, Ken! Thanks Chester!

Marty, I have been using some rock material I have had for years. As you say, I break them up for different sizes. Neat stuff, I wish I documented where I got it.

lab-dad

I was thinking may be some stuff for the fish tanks?
I think the real thing busted up would be best, will look around.
-Marty