• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1/2" Scale project still in progress (somehow)

Started by Chuck Doan, July 20, 2009, 08:55:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

danpickard

Chuck,
Just thinking that if the back of the timbers was stained and dusted, it would probably just look like a real life 1:1 backyard repair job...bit of this, bit of that...there, fixed.

Certainly a nice novel view of your work that no one would normally consider...fully detailed interior???? ;D

Cheers,
Dan

Chuck Doan

Thanks All!  Yes, Paul I always forget to remove the price tags! It's that dang Midwest wood-they ruin a bit of one end with barcodes. At least larger pieces have a stickum label. I must have sublimized a suggestion for the grill, except it should have been a motorcycle in there! BTW, I read on a model car forum to use Dullcoat to dull (duh) car chrome-works good!

Chester, I noticed a piece of scotch tape and even a hair back there (ick). No duck tape though.

Frederic, it's all smoke and mirrors, though I hope real stage carpenters do a better job than this!

Actually Dan, I have thought of 2 more displays for this-a back wall with an old car or something and an interior section maybe showing what the grille is attached to. Maybe if I get reincarnated as something with modeling skills and digits.

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Frederic Testard

Quote from: The modeling BuddhaMaybe if I get reincarnated as something with modeling skills and digits.
The joke of the year!
Frederic Testard

Philip Smith

Chuck Doan

Thanks Philip!

Here's a quickie...a remnant of old air hose on the reel wheel. Made from solder. Painted with Polly Scale Zinc Chromate primer and weathered with gouache and pigment powders.

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

finescalerr

mobilgas

Chuck,     Air hose looks like the real thing its got that faded out rubber look thats been out in the weather and sun....  How are you attaching the air hose for air... is there a pipe going through the wall or behind the Rim, that we cant see in the picture.   ;) and  the pipe with the handle on it is for water??        Looking Good     Craig

danpickard

Chuck,
Very nice hose, great colours with the sun bleached red rubber.  Something I also don't think I had noticed before were the split weatherboards butting up to the window frame.  Very nice touch with the nails that have cracked the bottom edge of those boards.  I know I've said it before, but shots like this highlight so well how natural sunlight, and the shadows it creates, can add so much more to the models photographic presentation.

Cheers,
Dan

k27rgs

I don't often visit this forum, cause of time, but I just spent the last 3 hours reading and saving info from this thread.  Amazing work.

Chuck Doan

Thanks Mario! Thanks, Craig, I was planning that valve to be the old air connection. The hose is just an old piece with the fittings cut off. That's the nice thing about modelling an abandoned something-if you don't feel like making it, then it must have been removed/stolen/lost. I wanted a more knobally valve handle, but I haven't found one in this scale yet.

Thanks Dan, I am lucky to have a lot of sun available. Even if it is 24 times too big!

shropshire lad

"knobally" ?  Can't find that word in my Concise Oxford Dictionary . It must be an oversight on their part . I'll get onto them first thing in the morning to have it included in the next edition .

Nick

Chuck Doan

Please do, I have been waiting a long time. Can't imagine what else they have to do over there.

marc_reusser

Chuck, is it okay to move this thread & your tractor/barn thread into the Diorama's section?

MR
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Chuck Doan

Chuck Doan

I haven't had much modeling time, so I decided to have someone else do it for me. Here are some detail parts I had made at Print a Part. I created the 3D solid models in Solidworks, and sent an STL file to P-A-P. There is a 16" light shade, two 7" angled sign light shades and two weatherheads for an electrical service mast. I just got them in and started some sanding tests. The material sands easily. The layer lines remove quickly, but due to the translucency, it is hard to see when they are smooth. This looks like an ideal application for Mr. Surfacer. I'll need to get a hold of some.
These took about two hours to research and create.  I sent the file in on Wed. and got the parts the next Monday using the least expensive path (overnite service can be had for a price) I plan to try some other items. I should also be able to combine more things onto a common sprue for better value. I think they will work out well and give me some unique purchased detail parts for my dio. I'll give an update when I get further along.

Shade

Weatherhead

Sign lights