• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1/2" Scale project still in progress (somehow)

Started by Chuck Doan, July 20, 2009, 08:55:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lab-dad

Okay I'll be a cad and ask; "How much were they?"
They look pretty good! and the service sounds great!
Are you planning on illuminating the lights?
-Marty

Ken Hamilton

HOLY CRAP, Chuck.  What 's the 4-1-1 on this stuff???
What?
Where?
How?
That's just amazing.
(....and, as Marty so boldly asked......."How Much"????)
Ken Hamilton
www.wildharemodels.com
http://public.fotki.com/khamilton/models/

Chuck Doan

What you see cost 21 bucks plus shipping in addition to my 2 hours. Fortunately I don't have to amortize the cost of the program or the computer!
I should be able to combine more parts in one file to keep the costs down. I certainly couldn't fabricate these for 20 bucks worth of my time.

Marty, I am not planning to light these, but I suspect it would work well if the paint kept the light from coming thru. They say to clean these with Acetone or Lacquer thinner, so the material is not like normal plastic. I primed the shade with enamel paint and it stuck great.

The Print a Part site is easy to use and the service was great. You can track the progress of the order and see when it shipped. You can upload a file to get pricing before you order. So far I am pleased with my first attempt.

Could be exciting!

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

TRAINS1941

Great job on the parts Chuck.  I guess if you wanted to you can make just about any detail part you want?

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

Fred H.

Wow! This is nothing short of amazing! Now if I just had the $2,500+ for Solidworks!

Chuck, I haven't waded in yet with all of the typical congratulatory BS because, frankly, I think you're more than a little nuts and I'm afraid that you'd track me down like a wounded rhino. BUT, you are among the guys who are giving me inspiration/confidence to take my modelling efforts to a new level AND the information on how you do what you do. Thanks for that!

mobilgas

Chuck,   Thats some neat Shit!!!!   I take it you have to know how to Run this type of program or have the big bucks to buy it. ??  Sounds like the average modeler like myself wouldnt  have a chance to use this ???    I sure could think of a few things i would like to have made ;)      Craig

finescalerr

This is exactly the kind of excitement that technology can bring to modeling and now some of you can see why I am so much in favor of using computers to enhance what we do. Is Chuck the first of us to go that route? Has anyone else here used rapid prototyping? I sent CAD files to Crystal River Products to laser cut doors, windows, and a component for Marty's Plymouth gas mechanical. Some of you have your own lasers and maybe other gadgets. What have you done with them? Let's start a new thread.

Way to go, Chuck!

Russ

Chuck Doan

Thanks! I have mentioned this before, but I am very fortunate to have access to the program and the computer thru my boss, who is perfectly fine with me doing personal stuff in the off hours. Otherwise I could not afford it either. Now I just need to convince him to buy a 3D printer! 
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

marc_reusser

WOW! Stunning...opens up a whole new world. Thanks for looking into and trying this.  I will definitely have to give it a try. 

Did you draw the items 1:1 and then have them scale the .STL/print-out, or did you draw it to 1/24 scale?

BTW. For those that are basic CAD savvy,...you do not necessarily need Solid Works......you can use Google "Sketch-up" (there is a downloadable free version that lacks some of the bells and whistles of the pay for "Pro" version").......and can the use an .STL conversion program to check your drawing for errors/holes and convert it to the required .STL file for 3D printing.

Marc

I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Carlo

Russ,
Dan Rowe, over on the 7/8ths.info Forum is using CAD drawings to make 3D printed parts (in metal!) for a Mapleton Shay model he is developing. An example...  http://www.7-8ths.info/index.php?topic=16680838.0
Follow that thread around for more details of the process.
Carlo

Chuck Doan

I made the items at 1/24th size. I started with O scale models I had made before, but I changed the dimensions rather than applying a "scale". I didn't know how a scaled part might work.

If something from Sketchup can work, that would bring this into a more cost practical realm, which would be awesome! If you are making basic part models only, SW is way overkill. And I might not have access to it forever!

Damn Cranky

Wow, those are great parts.  It all comes into play, so it's worth the price.
Crazy About Rust!

gnichols

Quote from: LLOYD on July 20, 2009, 09:28:00 AM
Hello Chuck,

with you, the only "problem", that become impossible to recognize reality with the model, or the model with reality!
You work with a microscope?
Wonderfull work and great quality of photograph
Sincerely!
Lloyd

The first time I saw one of Chuck's models was in Finescale... I emailed Russ to tell him I thought it was an April Fool's joke article, writing about a model while showing photos of a 1:1 building.  Man, I love his stuff.  Gary

SandiaPaul

Just an FYI, check out this link to see how some in the live steam model world are using RP:

http://ferrington.8k.com/Chaski/RP/
Paul

Mr Potato Head

I am curious? With the parts on a sprue, couldn't a person make a rubber mold and cast them in resin or wax and produce them in mass? Seams like there are so many common parts we all want, and all a person would have to do is invest in the art work, have them made and then send them out to be cast, and or do it themselves? This seams to put some details that were out of reach for the common man, very doable?
Gil
Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho