• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1/2" Scale project still in progress (somehow)

Started by Chuck Doan, July 20, 2009, 08:55:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

finescalerr

Gil, you are talking about the kind of projects I have advocated for a decade. Let's say we all like Porter locos and want them in 1:32 scale. One or two guys with CAD programs draw a catalog of parts common to many engines and get them CNC machined or rapid prototyped, other guys with good mastering or modeling skills clean them up and prepare them for replication, and still other guys crank out the parts in resin, metal, or something else. For cabs, passenger cars, cabooses you send artwork to the laser guys, waterjet guys, whatever. And all the hobbyists who want the parts pay for the labor.

The hobby is shrinking, narrow gauge in particular and, in another decade, our segment will be TINY. Probably not big enough to warrant our own convention; it would be more like a "meet". The future will depend on groups of hobbyists working together to provide each other products.

Russ

Mr Potato Head

Exactly! Think about Kemtron, even now there original stuff is still popular, forty years later! Stock Shay's and Porters were the prototypical norm in 1:1 why can't you have stock 1:32 or 1:24 parts catalog to build from, let's form a CO-OP of detail parts!
There are simple standard parts that everyone can use; the amount Chuck paid is peanuts compared to the PE parts or kits that are available. Lets start with Porter Side frames
Gil
Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho

marc_reusser

Whew....looks like I'm already out of the co-op.....as long as you guys insist on doing US prototypes (and done-to-death Porters at that) I would be unable to muster any interest and enthusiasm...(I would rather have another fall on the bike).

MR
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Mr Potato Head

Like this???? ;D
Hey beggars can't be choosy! Give us something we can live with and I'll be happy
Gil
Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho

Chuck Doan

Thanks Gary!

Geez Gil! Guess I don't want to get on your bad side!

I was able to get my first Rapid Prototype part painted and installed. I first added a socket from brass tubing. After careful sanding, I primed the shade with flat black spray. When dry, I gave it a coat of hairspray followed by flat white spray on the bottom side, and Model Masters medium green on the top. I chipped it with a damp toothpick trying to copy the type of chips seen on porcelain shades. Then I carefully color sanded the surfaces as smooth as I could get (after overnight drying).
The bracket is bent brass wire, a 000-90 nut and washer to "fasten" the shade, and a wall mount turned from styrene with Tichy rivets for screw heads. This was sprayed with flat black, then hairspray followed by the Polly Scale cream. Then chipping with a damp stiff brush, followed by assembly to the shade.
Final weathering was with gwosh applied with a sponge, brush and damp toothpick, and Bragdon powders. I only lightly dusted the green with tan powder, since the porcelain stays glossy even when quite old. Some of my reference pics came from Flickr and several from E-bay, where I searched for barn lights and found many helpful close-ups of old shades for sale. I need to re-whiten my rusty socket, but otherwise it's done and installed (I am still debating turning another bulb).
So far, I'm pretty stoked about the whole experience!

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Chuck Doan

Print a Part advocates using these parts as casting masters. They do require clean-up, but someone with casting ability should be in good shape. You can easily make duplicate masters in case one is damaged.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

mobilgas

Chuck,  I really like the finish on the light shade very realistic ;) adding a bulb would be the finishing touch.   Craig

Gordon Ferguson

Chuck, really neat finish just fits so well with all the rest, think you could say it was a very successful experiment..

Suggest that as you have already done one bulb you should really try to challenge yourself a bit more ;D how about a broken bulb ........ oh of course you need to show the filament  ;)
Gordon

DaKra

Very nice.  This kind of photorealistic modelling forces us to pay attention to the lowliest of features, like the lamp shade and its hardware, litter, smudges of oily hands on the garage door, all the things people overlook as they go about their business in 1/1 reality.  Somehow the mundane becomes fascinating in miniature and every little component complements each other to create believability in the finished work.  Very, very nice.   

finescalerr

Ho-hum. About average for you, Chuck. I don't see what all the fuss is about. You can do this stuff in your sleep. Nevertheless I wouldn't mind publishing 20 pages about the diorama. -- Russ

marc_reusser

Beautiful result, and great attention to detail, as always. I really like it. Also like the blanked-off junction box below the current light loc.

Marc

M-Works

Mr Potato Head

That is ridiculous! Unbelievable, great job!
As far as being on my bad side, no worries, I just have this sibling rivalry with Marc, I kinda whish he would have been my little brother, someone to boss around and pick on, he's got inner demons, I could have been one of more of them, I just miss the heck out of him, his misery brings me so much joy  ;D ;D
Love ya marc, ware your helmet! I don't want your melon scrambled anymore than it already is ;)

Gil
Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho

marc_reusser

Shucks Gil, thanks. You would have made a great big bro. ....someone to antagonize me, give me wedgies, and generally cause me all sorts of phsychological anguish.

Miss not having ya around here.

Marc

M-Works

TRAINS1941

Great detail.  But then we all expect that from Chuck.  All the little things most people miss you seem to have found.
Just watching you move forward is a pleasure to watch.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

Ken Hamilton

....you gotta be freakin' kidding me......
Ken Hamilton
www.wildharemodels.com
http://public.fotki.com/khamilton/models/