• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1/2" Scale project still in progress (somehow)

Started by Chuck Doan, July 20, 2009, 08:55:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mobilgas

John,  ill let you poke around for old bottles and magazines......while ill be looking up in the rafters for then old porcelain signs....NOS gas globes still in there orig box...oil cans....and calling a tow truck to pull out that old pickup thats behind them old doors ;D             Chuck you got to put a sign  on that pole ;)         Craig

Chuck Doan

Thanks for the nice words! Yeah, Jerry my penny is back!

Thanks for those pics, Craig-just the kind of weathering I was looking for. I was just sanding the parts for the lubester last night. 20 min tops, and I was ready to assemble. Still beats scratch fab time and gets me to my favorite part of modeling faster. Even the pump is cleaning up easy and so far I haven't broken the pipes off.

John, the layer lines are inconsistent so some are more noticeable than others. The penny pic above shows a part just primered and the lines do show. But they look worse than they are. They sand off easy and I think a light sanding with a coat of Mr Surfacer would make it go even faster. The lines go thru the part, so in the pic of the meter box, it looks worse than it is-some of what you are seeing is inside the part. If you go with really crusty weathering then maybe even less sanding required!  Russ, don't be afraid of a little modelling work!

I have gotten a hold of some decal paper to try a homeade decal sign, another new thing for me.

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Chuck Doan

I finished one shade and mounted it. I almost finished the other and then ruined the paint. Do over time.

I also added the wiring coming out of the wall. At least they thought to put wire nuts on the exposed wires. I found a lot of pics with wiring just going through a hole in the siding. We don't need no stinkin' codes!

I also finished the flashing over the top boards.

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

jacq01

You love to do these little details,  don''t you..................

amazing............inspirational.....

Jacq
put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

Ken Hamilton

Okay....how in the world did you do the wire nuts???
Ken Hamilton
www.wildharemodels.com
http://public.fotki.com/khamilton/models/

lab-dad

exceptional!
And; yea, how'd you make the wirenutz?
-Marty

TRAINS1941

If I could remember half the things you do to make a model come to life I'd be a wizard!!!!!

I ran out of words a long time ago for the things you do!!  Let's just say Chuck is Chuck and it don't get any better than this.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

mobilgas

Chuck,      Your weathering and finishes are spot on ;)          Craig

Chuck Doan

Thanks! THe wire nuts are just a piece of Plastruct .020 rod, chucked in the drill press and hand sanded to a taper. Then cut to length and put a .008 drilled hole for .006 wires. Paint and serve. There is also a bit of electrical tape made from a strip of alum foil.

Jacq it is a sickness...best not to stand too close.

finescalerr

I thought the model already looked pretty good. This has brought it into the realm of sufficient. -- Russ

chester

Well if Russ says it's OK, I guess it is.  ???

Fabulous stuff Chuck. You are without a doubt, 'da man.

Malachi Constant

Oh sure, .020 rod chucked in a drill press, sanded to a taper, then drilled to take .006 wire ... no knurls on the outside, no little springy-threads on the inside.  This is obviously much, much easier than it appears and we should all be doing it!  And, if it's that "easy" to make scale electrical tape, then should be no problem to make scale duct tape and fix anything we screw up along the way.  :D
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

JohnP

QuoteJacq it is a sickness...best not to stand too close.

Chuck, if I wanted to catch it too what do I have to do??? :o ::)

John
John Palecki

NORCALLOGGER

Chuck,
I am a little disappointed, those wire nuts are not fluted ;) ;D
Stunning work.
Rick

Philip Smith

talk about attention to detail. You win Chuck! You should write a book on how you do what you do.

Philip  8)