• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1/2" Scale project still in progress (somehow)

Started by Chuck Doan, July 20, 2009, 08:55:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaKra

Devoid of """caricature""" and """charm""""

I love it!  ;D

Dave

TRAINS1941

I thought a few pages back you said I'll do some touchups!!!

God Chuck it's perfect.  And the step by step hell anyone could do that now.  I think not.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

chester

Excellent Chuck, and when you find a white decal paper that doesn't get rubbery, let us know.

Ray Dunakin

Absolutely perfect! In the photos, it's indistinguishable from the real thing.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

marc_reusser

It is a thing of beauty. I am though finding myself wishing for just the smallest of dents in one of the front edges ;) ;D

MR
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

RoughboyModelworks

Chuck Doan

Thanks all! This was a funner piece of the project. I love that hairspray method!

Hmm, dents, I didn't come across any noticeable dents in my prototype searches-I think these were pretty heavy wall tanks. Of course now I will go back and see nothing but dents! I will make up for it on the gas pump though... ;D

Chester, this was the first time I tried homemade decals. I take it rubbery film is normal? At first I tried to chip the edges, but it just pulled like a vinyl decal would. Then it wouldn't go back to flat, so I had to do another one. Once I rolled the water out from underneath it seemed OK. I need to do more playing around.

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

lab-dad

What about "air erasing" the edges of the decal before applying (or may be after)?
I think Marc did this didn't he?.........

On large scale models each piece becomes a model in and of itself.

-Marty

Chuck Doan

I did try Marc's idea...it faded nicely, but I was looking for chipped edges. A Microscale decal does it nicely, but not this stuff. May try pre cutting chipped edges before applying.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

Marcel Ackle

Chuck, your model is again very inspiring! Perfect to the smallest detail! Thank you for the beautiful pictures!

Marcel

Franck Tavernier

Wow Chuck, awesome!

The weathering is not caricatural, only perfect!

Craig_H

Chuck,     The sign on the lubester if your going to do another one and think the decal was to thick or hard to work with... you could make the sign as a small porcelain one that would be attached on with 2 screw's...which you could make out of thin styrene.  This would be correct as Mobil did have these. ...  And if you really want to go the extra mile use PAP and do another lid that has a Gargoyle logo.... with the weight of the oil Cast in the lid ;D        Craig

Chuck Doan

Thanks Marcel and Franck! Thanks Craig for the additional info. I did see some lids with cast in lettering...maybe if I do one in 1/12th scale!

Chuck Doan

Into a summer slowdown. I did get the lubester planted, but that's been it for a few weeks. :(

TRAINS1941

That is the most realistic scene I've ever seen.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin