• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1/2" Scale project still in progress (somehow)

Started by Chuck Doan, July 20, 2009, 08:55:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck Doan

Thanks Gordon!

Dallas, I have seen them numbered both ways. Mostly they were like this one. Normally they would pump the cylinder full and drain the desired amount, so you are counting what you are getting as it empties.

What I don't know is how they figure in the amount in the hose.... ???

And did they calculate the volume used up by the pipes and indicators in the cylinder?

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

finescalerr

This project just keeps getting better. The resin parts look amazingly good all things considered. The whole diorama is a master class in how to scratchbuild whatever you want to uncompromising standards. -- Russ

Gordon Ferguson

Of course you could buy a real one ?

www.christies.com/LotFinder/lot_details.aspx?pos=10&intObjectID=4532516&sid=

I wasn't actually looking for your pump but trying to get some information on National Benzole, my Dad used to work for them when I noticed this.
Gordon

TRAINS1941

Chuck

See you got your penny back!!  Looking forward to you doing this pump.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

eTraxx

Dang that looks good. I placed my first order with print a part while ago but I'm starting very very simple .. unlike this masterpiece! :)
Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"

Philip Smith

counter-intuitive  ;D = bass ackwards :P  Always wondered myself.

Parts look great Chuck!

Chuck Doan

Thanks! Here are the major parts together. Once I stopped learning how to shatter test tubes, I finally made a good cylinder from the last remnant. Thanks again, Mark!

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

Geoff Ringle

It just gets better and better.  Very cool!

Hauk

Looking good, Chuck!
Did you have to do a lot of sanding, or was the surface finish good enough?
It might just be wishful thinking, or have the quality of PAP gone up a bit lately?

Cant wait to see that pump painted and weathered!

-Haavard
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

Chuck Doan

Thanks Geoff!

Haavard, I did get the body sanded and primed this weekend. Seemed about the same to me. I added trouble by including the base mounting bosses and the little gussets under the cylinder pad; more stuff to sand around carefully. As you noted in your parts, some places are smoother than others especially the round parts. Oh well, it is still a good deal for me considering that I couldn't make something like this from scratch with my skills and tools. I just have to get "up" for doing the sanding and get it over with. Then the fun should kick in!

TRAINS1941

Chuck,

Your usual standard of work.  Why do I have the feeling this is going to be so realistic looking. 

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

lab-dad

Those little gallon indicators are incredible!
I dont know if any other method would have worked, and sure as hell I would not have wanted to do THREE!
The surface detail on them is acceptable, I'd think some degradation would have taken place.
Looking forward to the finish.
-Marty

finescalerr

One negative about PAP occurs to me: Chuck is working in 1:24 scale. The resolution issues confronting him are somewhere between 2 and 4 times LESS than what we would have with a 1:48 scale part. So what is acceptable for a large scale might be unacceptable for a smaller one. So I hope you guys working in the smaller scales will keep us informed with good photos so we can see whether the technology is ready yet. -- Russ

eTraxx

I have a simple part being printed for 1:48 .. my 'test run' so to speak.

Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"

james_coldicott

Chuck,

amazing work- really looking forward to seeing the painting process. Seeing your PAP parts is really mind expanding in terms of what is possible in terms of detail on a model.

Probably not much use to you as this is a semi restored version but recalled seeing a similar fuel pump in Tomales on a photographic reconnaissance trip I took a couple of years ago for a painting of the NPCRR. The filling hose and nozzle may be of use as a reference though.

Enjoy!

James