• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1/2" Scale project still in progress (somehow)

Started by Chuck Doan, July 20, 2009, 08:55:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck Doan

Thanks very much! It has been nice to make some progress. Marty, one of my reference photos was a pump out in the desert! But no rust streaks on that one.

Here are the pumps that once sat in front of the old Sage Store that I have been using for inspiration on this project:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/matt_bruensteiner/2571470237/

I also printed some new gallon markers on the mounting rod. I originally thought it would be too fragile, but hopefully it will work and speed things up. I was not looking forward to gluing 30 of those suckers! And then get them sealed in the cylinder only to have one fall off. Fingers crossed.

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

finescalerr

Ho-hum. How boring. We've seen it all before. What can you do that's NEW? -- ssuR

P.S.: Please send hi-res shots of your progress to my personal e-mail and I'll update the article. You may actually finish work on the pump (or almost finish) by the time I get to page layout.

Yes, folks, watch the upcoming Modelers' Annual for future developments.

danpickard

Chuck,
Given the state of the pump base, I almost reckon you need to sift through the rubbish bin to find a few of the test tube glass pieces that broke when you were trying to cut them.  The old glass bowl on a disussed pump is bound to have had a small rock, or even a bullet, put through it by now.  The complete glass bowl might lookout of place along side every other broken window pane, split board and rusty streak that surrounds it. 

Maybe as another test for you...glass bowl with a crack, but repaired with a bit of old rag and wrapped in wire!

Cheers,
Dan Pickard

RoughboyModelworks

I see the giant penny has returned...  ;)

I can't accuse you of stealing this one out of my backyard Chuck... I've never owned an old gas pump. Certainly is more of the outstanding work we've come to expect from you. Gorgeous....

Paul

Ray Dunakin

Incredible work! Darn near indistinguishable from the pic of the "real thing".

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Chuck Doan

Thanks guys! I know what you mean Dan, but after the effort to get one good cylinder I'm leery about trying anything. I didn't get enough recognizable broken bits anyway! Fortunately many (like at the Sage Store) survived years at the side of the road intact. If the cylinder inside details go badly I can always wrap it in expanded mesh screen like many were in later years.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

Frederic Testard

I always admire and seldom comment, Chuck. The paint on this pump - and again, the texture effect on the rusty parts in particular - are something wonderful to watch.
Frederic Testard

Chuck Doan

Thanks Frederic! This is a good scale for texturizing. I color sanded the white bits a little smoother, and now back to rusting. Both the Gwosh (sponged on) and pigment powders can leave a nice rusty texture. I just hope the lifted flakes survive, 'cause I like em!

Frederic Testard

Yes, they are certainly one of the more delicate elements to keep as you wish.
Frederic Testard

Craig_H

Chuck,    I wanted to ask how you got the rusty texture that looks like pitted metal? But i believe you answered it?........Gwosh {sponged on} and pigment powders to get this type of look on metal or iron?? Do you sprinkle the powers on when the paint is wet...or do you use mig pigment fixer after use of the powder's.    Craig

Chuck Doan

Hi Craig,
Some is the texture from the spray can black undercoat. When you dab the Gwosh on with a fine cosmetic sponge, it also leaves a bumpy texture. This can be controlled by how thin the Gwosh is-straight out of the tube or mixed with a bit of water. I usually seal the Gwosh with Dullcoat spray. I apply the powders dry with a sponge or an artist stump. I usually do this last and without a sealer because it tends to lessen the powder presence.

I haven't tried the Mig pigments or fixer yet...could be worth some tests.

Craig_H

Thanks Chuck :D     The rust effect looks good it looks like pitted metal.....here's a pic of a pumps weathered paint......and a glass cylinder to give you the color of the glass as it ages......they could clean the outside but couldn't get to the inside to clean so most of them looked like this after years of service. Plus alot of cylinder's were tinted blue from the factory.  The last pic is of a real scummy one i found in my files :o   Craig

Chuck Doan

Thanks for those Craig! I have to choose between a typical dirty frosted cylinder and hiding all the detail in there >:(

Got a little more done. Added the fill and overflow pipes. Used aluminum tube and rod.

•   Etched in Ferric Chloride
•   Rinsed and Dulcoated
•   Dusted with grey and white pigment powders
•   Spritzed with Dullcote spray from a distance to mottle the finish.

Also did a quick "see what its going to look like" pic on the diorama:

Still working on the rust. Streaks are a pain.

Malachi Constant

I think it looked good ... but I'm still feeling around on the floor for my eyes after my head exploded.  :o

Thanks a lot!  >:( :P 8)
Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

Ray Dunakin

Dallas: LOL!  I think that image sums up my response as well.

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World