• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1/2" Scale project still in progress (somehow)

Started by Chuck Doan, July 20, 2009, 08:55:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck Doan

I finished the price box for my pump. These displayed the price per gallon on a card inside a metal frame with glass sides. At the bottom are the words "Plus 5 cents tax". On the right is a listing of the price (tax included) for one thru 15 gallons to help the math challenged. I'm not sure how they handled fractions of gallons. Each time the price changed, a new card would be required, though I'm sure they wouldn't have changed them 3-4 times a day like now.

I 3D printed the basic frame and then added facia strips from .003 Mylar drafting film so the edges around the glass would be thin. A styrene cap and Grandt Line NBW finished the box. The price card was copied from the internet and inkjet printed to scale. I faded and water stained it with Gwosh and Silverwood stain, using prototype photos as reference. I slipped it in behind a piece of .006 thick cover slide glass and installed a .005 styrene back plate to hold it in. I didn't intend to break the glass, but as I installed the back plate I heard the familiar tink of tiny glass breaking. Oh well. The box was painted and chipped the same as the rest of the pump. I slid it over one of the tie rods and glued it a tad askew.

Final rusting continues on the rest of the pump.

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

jacq01

Coming along nicely, great work. This is becoming reference material.

Jacq
put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

Mobilgas

Craig

finescalerr

So did you do any modeling over the Christmas break? -- ssuR

TRAINS1941

Looks like you were busy during the rain storms!!!  Excellent.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

lab-dad

Not too shabby, but I am sorry you broke the glass.
I would re-do the whole sign and start over.
All kidding aside, a really educational thread.
-Marty

artizen

When do we get to see the whole diorama together?

Please?

Please?

Please?

;D
Ian Hodgkiss
The Steamy Pudding - an English Gentleman's Whimsy in 1:24 scale Gn15 (in progress)
On the Slate and Narrow - in 1:12 scale (coming soon)
Brisbane, Australia

Ray Dunakin

Cool. Did you do the price card from memory or were you able to find good reference pics?

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Malachi Constant

Shazam!  Every little thing .... and all so neatly done.  Glad to see the cap matches the rest of the pump now too!  ;)

Cheers,
Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

Ken Hamilton

Ken Hamilton
www.wildharemodels.com
http://public.fotki.com/khamilton/models/

Chuck Doan

Thanks! Ray, Google gas pump price (or pricer) box and do an image search. Not a lot of results, but some typical versions will come up.
I am also a member of the Oldgas forum where I found the price card image. Ebay has also been a big help for nice photos of individual parts. I became sentient in the 60's, so I missed the visible pump era and have no idea why I like them. Probably a past life thing.

Ian, I am also impatient to see the pump installed, but I dare not unscrew it from its handling base until I'm ready to fasten it down. I am too clumsy and this is too top heavy to be trusted loose!

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

finescalerr

You are not clumsy. That would be virtually impossible. I am clumsy. -- Russ

Mobilgas

Ok Chuck,  Im going to put you on the spot??  Will the diorama be finished buy Jan 2013  ???
Craig

JESTER

Chuck Doan

I hope so Craig!

I got a fair bit along on my pump this weekend, but the only thing I was able to document before the rain was the outlet pipe for the pump. I copied the "dry hose" version that had a valve at the top of the hose, allowing it to be drained. I thought it was more interesting than just an ordinary elbow. I found some great photos of a Wayne pump cylinder base for sale on Ebay that clearly showed the valve and actuating handle details. I 3D printed the valve and elbow together, and the handle as a separate piece. The outlet pipe is aluminum tube and I used a brass wire insert to strengthen the assembly, and another wire to mount the handle.  I painted and chipped the assembly the same as the other parts using a grey "galvanized" undercoat for the valve parts.

I also finished the pump handle and continued more of the final rusting. Pretty much all that's left is the hose and nozzle which should be here from PAP this week.

The obligatory giant hand photo for size comparison. It's 5 inches tall over the globe ring.