• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1/2" Scale project still in progress (somehow)

Started by Chuck Doan, July 20, 2009, 08:55:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frederic Testard

Frederic Testard

Malachi Constant

Quote from: Chuck Doan on February 08, 2011, 08:45:09 AM

Chuck --

It's fantastic!  In addition to all the superb finishes, there's something (or many things) about the 'simple' composition of the scene that invites a long, lingering look at the scene.  Really like the curved corners on the base in that regard ... and the "OPEN" sign leaning sideways against the front of the building and partially obstructed by a piece of scrap really "seals the deal" on what we're seeing here.  You've got a nice array of "ground level" foreground elements, like the lubester, pump and even the crumbly porch step ... likewise with the "skyline" details with the garage lamp, sign hanger and roof over the entrance. 

Maybe I've just been staring at a white painting too long and I'm starting to see things, but here goes:  repeating zig-zag element in the "rotting" effects at the bottom of the garage doors, along the seams in the crumbling concrete and, of course, in the corrugation ... mimicked by a zig-zag line from the lubester to the lamp over garage to the hose reel to the pump ornament.

So, I guess what I'm saying is ... if you strip it all down and see that you're really only working with two dang squares (building/garage faces) ... how the bleep did you make it so dang cool and interesting?!  Must be some kinda voodoo.

Now, regarding the actual modeling ...

and also quite inspiring!  ;)
-- Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

artizen

More closeups please!  ;D

After giving us this masterpiece, what's next? Maybe a real railway layout?  :D

Fantastic stuff. Always inspiring. And somewhat intimidating at the same time.
Ian Hodgkiss
The Steamy Pudding - an English Gentleman's Whimsy in 1:24 scale Gn15 (in progress)
On the Slate and Narrow - in 1:12 scale (coming soon)
Brisbane, Australia

jacq01

Chuck,

thanks for this wonderful piece of modeling. Marvelous.

Jacq
put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

finescalerr

The modeling is superb, of course.

The scene almost begs for a figure and/or a vehicle -- a focal point (aside from the pump). For example a motorcyclist or bicyclist who has stopped for a look. Maybe a rusting vehicle, or part of one, on the driveway. Know what I mean? Is that something you already had in mind?

Russ

Junior

Terrific idea Russ! My guess would be he has someting else in mind that will make us freak out AGAIN!

Anders ???

TRAINS1941

Chuck

Just wonderful your best work so far, I don't think so.  I think your just getting started.

Well back to my knitting!!!!

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

BKLN

Gentlemen, I have to disagree with all of you in regard of a vehicle or figure. I think the beauty of this diorama is the absence of a traditional focal point, because the eye keeps wandering around to discover all the beautiful details. I think one of the reasons why Chucks work is so impressive, is the abundance of figures. A figure creates a "frozen" image, revealing the truth of the model. But a lonely scene that has been left alone is a lot more powerful.

I think it is part of our model culture that we expect figures or vehicles to be part of diorama. And usually that figure or vehicle is meant to be the focal point. But I don't think that is the case here.

Mobilgas

Chuck,         Amazing Diorama !!!     
Craig

Chuck Doan

Thanks for the nice words! Dallas, thanks for the close look, you have seen things I hadn't noticed. For me, splitting the wall kept my interest; I almost stopped because it was too boring looking.

There are still a couple of things to add, like the pump hose and a sign mounted to the hanger and a meter box and mast. I'm not sure what else could work on such a shallow display. A figure is out; I'm just not interested in doing one.

Some dioramas make a deliberate statement but I haven't really tried to tell a story or focus the viewer, I just modeled things that appealed to me and arraigned them in a scene.  It's something you might come across on the side of a road and either or notice or not. I am more technical, so my models reflect that.

Heres' a pic with a mocked up sign: 

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Ray Dunakin

Quote from: BKLN on February 09, 2011, 06:06:16 AM
Gentlemen, I have to disagree with all of you in regard of a vehicle or figure. I think the beauty of this diorama is the abundance of a traditional focal point, because the eye keeps wandering around to discover all the beautiful details. I think one of the reasons why Chucks work is so impressive, is the abundance of figures. A figure creates a "frozen" image, revealing the truth of the model. But a lonely scene that has been left alone is a lot more powerful.

I think you meant "absence", rather than abundance, and I agree. Adding a vehicle or figure would detract from the scene -- the fine structure and its surrounding details would become merely "background". Also, no figure I've ever seen would look as real as the rest of the diorama.

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

BKLN

oops. I did mean indeed "absence". Thanks, Ray!

Mobilgas

Chuck,     I was going to ask in my last post if you were going to add the mobil sign ::)....is there going to be a sign over the door & window.....as Name of garage with them cool 7-up signs on each end !!!! I like the 7-up signs i think there more interesting than the 60's coke sign you showed us.   Chuck....this guy is looking for a job.
Craig

Chuck Doan

Thanks Ray! Craig, the Coke sign is out because it de-laminated on me. I'm not sure I want to cover up my siding, so we'll see about any further signage. I like that old Edward Hopper Gas  painting; I might copy his minimalist feeling.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

finescalerr

The Artist has spoken. The diorama is almost complete. I don't have to wait for the final photo to offer my highest praise: SUPERB. -- Russ