• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1/2" Scale project still in progress (somehow)

Started by Chuck Doan, July 20, 2009, 08:55:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RoughboyModelworks

Yes... absolutely, it would be perfect...  :) :) :)

That's beautiful Craig... what's the story on it?

Paul

mobilgas

Paul,    We both have been trying to get Chuck to put in a motorcycle in his garage scene....thought i would throw something cool Chucks way... give Chuck something to think about ;) The Diecast model i bought years ago at a Harley dealers sale table...just for i would have one to model off from just in case i ever wanted to try to scratch build one for my old gas station build ::)  The diecast model in the picture is a 50's harley Servi-Car.. Harley called theres Servi-car....while Indian Motorcycle Co. called theres the Dispatch-tow. Both had Bars on the front of the cycles so you could hook to the back bumper of a car. So if a customer wanted his car serviced....ride servi-car to customer's house to pick-up car...hook servi-car car to back bumper...drive car back to station un-hook...do service on car...after service drive car back to customers house with servi-car in tow...deliver car...drive servi-car back to gas station..or..garage. And the police used the servi-car big time to!!! They were mini billboards when they drove around town....haveing the owner's name on them I think there COOL... Craig

Chuck Doan

That is cool! Something like that might just fit, no room for a car. Total violation of the no parking rule though.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

RoughboyModelworks

Craig:

I was curious about the origin of the model, wasn't sure if it was a diecast or just what. I haven't seen a diecast before of the Servi-Car. I suspect it's probably just about as rare as the prototype is now. I did see a partially restored Indian version though, about ten years ago in Hollister... even incomplete it was gorgeous.

Chuck... you could always change the No Parking sign to a Harley Parking Only sign.... ;) ;)

Paul

mobilgas

Paul,  Yes it is a diecast model.  Looked at bottom of diecast says 1949 servi-car as year.... made in china....and was made for harley davidson....dont have the box anymore... made in 2002. theres a guy in local flea-market that has one in the box wants 50 bucks ??? Im going to call a friend of mine that has a-lot of old cycles and orig paper and see if he has some old lit. on servi-cars i can copy? I did See a Indian years ago restored at a antique motorcycle meet in Ohio.        Craig

RoughboyModelworks

Craig:

I'm thinking it might be an Ertl... they've made several series of die-cast Harleys over the years. Franklin Mint has also produced a Servi-Car model, but it sells for $195.00 or thereabouts.

I've done some quick research in my HD library and I believe the Servi-Car was introduced in 1932. They had several models 32G (small box with tow bar), 32GA (small box without tow bar), 32GD (large box without tow bar), and 32GE (large box with air tank).  In 1933 they introduced the 33GDT (large box with tow bar). All had a 45" V-Twin flathead engine. It appears they continued in production in various forms until 1969 when Harley was purchased by AMF although I have seen some undocumented references to some 1970s era versions. In 1932, according to the records, they produced 41 Servi-Cars... helps to explain why they're so scarce. The picture below is of a 1933 version with tow bar. This is back when service station attendants wore ties and knew how to wear their hats the right way round...  ;)

And here's a pic of a fully and beautifully restored 1949 Servi-Car. No tow bar on this one and what would appear to be a smaller box, with just enough room to carry your beer...  ;)  Needless to say, I'd love to have one of these to tool around in... ;D

Paul

Mr Potato Head

Here's one a little less traveled

Gil
Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho

Chuck Doan

Those are some nice pics! It would be neat to have, except when does one stop looking like a service guy and start looking like an ice cream vendor or a meter maid? Pretty similer hats.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

Mr Potato Head

It's the badge, they wear "Badges"...................
Ice-cream vendors don't need no "stinking badges"  ;D

Gil
Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho

chester

I vividly remember the sight of my fathers cars coming up the driveway after being serviced, with a Servi-car behind. The dealer was Faulkner Olds in the suburban Philadelphia area.
   Here's another nifty old Harley trike. The driver's appearance dates this photo almost as much as the trike.

marc_reusser

You guys are all leading too fanciful of a life seen through rose colored glasses...c'mon...this is in the foothills outside of Stockton and Sacramento.....thats Hells Angels home turf (at least it was in the 70's)....what you need is a nice Harley panhead chopper, and a guy drinking some JD while peeing on the corner of the building.  Or for a real challenge....do 10 different choppers all lined up out front (and maybe a scared store clerk peeking out the window). ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Marc
(ex N-Cal)
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

RoughboyModelworks

Those are RED coloured glasses Marc...

Paul

marc_reusser

Quote from: Roughboy on January 18, 2010, 06:20:25 PM
Those are RED coloured glasses Marc...

Paul

yeah, right .....you, Janice and Tim Leary ;D ;D

MR
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Damn Cranky

Oh, man, Chuck, you sure know how to ignite the inspiration!  Wow.
Crazy About Rust!

Chuck Doan

Thanks Virgil!

I got a chance to get plastered this weekend. First, the various foundation elements were arraigned, spaced off on stripwood shims, and glued in place. Then I slabbed on successive layers of Hydrocal to fill in the contours for the scenery. When dry, I sanded the Hydrocal smoothish, and then painted it with Polly Scale Dirt. Then came fine sifted dirt applied over thinned white glue, and then I added some Silflor Buffalo grass and some jute Macramé. I hit the Silflor with Dullcote spray while it was still on the mat. In spite of being less sparkly then the previous grass mat I had, it still had some sheen. It does peel off nicely, and the adhesive remnant makes it easy to glue down.
I have begun adding additional texture items and some gravel as an experiment. I'm still playing around with it; I just hope it's enough green grass to satisfy Uncle!

Hopefully a weathered old gas pump will sit on this pad someday. I will also add a tank filler pipe in the weeds to the left. Since taking this pic I have touched up the front edge of the pad now that the messy bits are done.